Starting Problem

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Starting Problem

Post by sarahandthebear »

Hello everyone and happy new year. I have been scrolling the wiki and websites to try and find out a little problem we have started to develop. We have a 1984 1.9 petrol westfalia dg she starts first time every time even in the extream cold I have not had a problem. But for some reason if we go for a drive no matter how far the distance and we stop for a while she has trouble starting. It's usually when we stop at a shop or something I turn her over and she struggles to start and the battery light stays on until eventually she fires up. Now I have looked at the battery and it is charged I have cleaned the Earth for the battery as well. I'm woundering weather it's my alternator belt is to loose or the starter motor or trigger wire is having trouble. As I know the van takes a lot of juice to start maybe even my battery is not very good. Other then that she drives fine no power loss pulls away fine. Just seems to be when we have driven and stopped for about 20 mins almost as if when she is hot something is not working right. Am I close with anything here or is it something els.
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Starting Problem

Post by Da dan »

If it turning as norm could start to see if you have fuel (ie pump getting tired) and then take out a plug and see if you have a good spark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

Happy New Year too!

Are you hot starting using the accelerator pedal correctly?
I believe you are supposed to gradually increase the gas while turning the starter, increasing the amount until it fires. I have sometimes had to almost put the pedal to the floor before it catches.
Obviously, ease off as soon as it fires, or you will get some very odd looks from bystanders.
Worth a try, anyway.
There's a paragraph in the VW owner's manual about it if you have one.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Hot start issues.
Timing (5 deg BTDC vac off)
Mixture (CO check idle speed)
Make sure your ok with those first.

In my experience it was a dirty carb causing a weak mixture.

I too use the foot to the floor start.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

I had something similar happening back in June. Following advice from Mocki I replaced the vacuum hoses connected around the carb (four bits about 3-4 inches long on my setup). They were perished. As soon as they were replaced the re-starting problem disappeared. A length of vacuum hose costs pennies and is a simple fix, if that's the problem. Make sure that you buy the correct size of hose. I suggest that you take one of these short hoses to a motor spares place to make sure. Good luck.