Jx problems

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

carthago ian
80-90 Mem No: 4852

Jx problems

Post by carthago ian »

Hi all , Story so far: my JX needed 3 to 4 goes of the glow plugs before it would start then it ran lumpy heaps & of white smoke ,its down on power struggles on hills . The results from emission test were good, oil use is ok .replaced the glow plugs & injectors whilst at it carried out a compression test , 300psi across 4 cylinders is that good ? I get the feeling the turbo isn't kicking in, could that be the built in dump valve be at fault ... Went for a test drive , started 1st time ran smooth well for a JX ,no sign of any white smoke, still not fully right. I'm thinking a wiping the turbo off and getting it rebuilt, if needs replace the LDA .. Haven't set the tappets yet struggling as don't the correct tool or a bag full of shims , will the tappets play a major role in running well ? Questions Questions what ever I'll report back ...

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Jx problems

Post by colinthefox »

My experience is that tappets are not super critical to running OK. But straight away I have to qualify that............

As long as nothing is seriously worn producing a huge gap, and you can slip in a 5 thou feeler between cam and shim, it won't generally cause rough running problems. Much less than that, and it will start OK, go down to three cylinders after a few seconds as the valve stem expands and closes the gap to zero, then it may well go back to running OK once the cylinder head has warmed up, expanded and opened the gap again. Certainly had me stumped for a while when my old CS started misbehaving. In my case, the reason for those symptoms was that one of the valve seats was rotating and recessing itself into the head.

Naturally, if you want your engine at its best, then the shims will need setting accurately. But I doubt that would cure serious rough running.

My bet is that your injection timing is slightly retarded.

As for compression, 300PSI is 20bar, which I would say is excellent.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

carthago ian

Post by carthago ian »

Cheers for that : I'll set the tappets when I get the turbo back

ghoney
80-90 Mem No: 5962

Post by ghoney »

Hey, my JX had got really sluggish, like the turbo wasn't working. The LDA is critical to the turbo being effective, it's a sort of enrichment device to get more fuel into the engine to mix with the extra air that the turbo is pushing in. If the LDA is faulty, the engine performance is like there's no turbo there at all. The diaphragm in the disc-like bit of the LDA perishes over time, and ceases to work properly. It works on the same principle as the advance thingy on an old style distributor. The flexi-tube between the inlet manifold and the LDA needs to be in good condition too. Check those bits out! I got both a new LDA and the flex-tube from Brickwerks a few years ago, and they transformed the performance.
1988 Hi top Westie 1.6TD

pw2904
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by pw2904 »

Have a look at this thread as a there may be something of use to you here...

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/the-d ... 33228.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carthago ian

Post by carthago ian »

Took the camper out this morning , started 1st time on the glow plug sequence ,little bit of white smoke thats all

The lumpy running has all but gone; still got a turbo boost problem. Going ahead with a turbo rebuild , will digest the Baxter JX thread better still a hard copy ... Thanks for the link brilliant

carthago ian

Post by carthago ian »

Had the turbo refurbished , had help with the tappets , all within tolerance so left be ... took it for a test drive up a couple of local hills , brilliant , wizzed up well wizzed for my JX ...... went up in 4th all the way before it would be 2nd on the last bit

I'll do a longer run tomorrow using hills I'd struggle on before . So thanks for the feed back and stuff ...