Cam Belt Change

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gutmeg
80-90 Mem No: 6992

Cam Belt Change

Post by gutmeg »

Hi All
Hope all good with everyone, and all have a happy Xmas.
Have not posted in a while, so here goes-
May be a silly question if so I apologise in advance, I have a 1.9 petrol RHD Holdsworth model "pop top" 1984.
Does anyone know when the cambelt will need to be replaced on this vehicle, or are they pre-cambeelt i.e. chain type, so may not need to be replaced. The mileage is 80,000 miles from new.
Many thanks in advance & Regards to all
LLoyd

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Cam Belt Change

Post by CJH »

The cam is driven directly from the crankshaft by a gear wheel. No belt or chain to worry about.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Post by sarahandthebear »

Hello and yes that’s the joy of owning a t25 no Cambelt changes needed. There are other ways to test the engine if your van if you want to know how healthy it is two very easy ways. You can do A compression test and whilst you have the spark plugs out just have a look at there colouring. Also as a visual check just have a look at the coolent level and oil level which of course you should be doing at least once a week anyway I do it everyday but that’s a little excessive really there are links on the wiki and on here about how to do a compression test with a simple bit of kit costing £30. :ok
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

gutmeg
80-90 Mem No: 6992

Post by gutmeg »

Hi All
Many Thanks for the replies, at least that is a job that does not require doing!
Just wondered as was on a site advertising a T25 for sale, and as part of the works done it stated that the cambelt had been recently replaced on a 1988 one!
Thanks again,and have a good Xmas
Regards
LLoyd

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

That would have been a diesel engine van then . Or maybe had an engine conversion.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon