Oil light

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Oil light

Post by sarahandthebear »

Eavening all just went out to the van to start her up as she has been sat in the snow and ice for two days. Started up first try no problems. I did not turn on the headlights and after a while noticed the oil light was on but incredibly dim no other light was on but that one and it was hard to even notice. I turned th engine off and then turned the key the lights all came on including the oil light which was now. Very bright I'm thinking maybe a faulty wire or could it be the oil pressure
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Oil light

Post by AngeloEvs »

You say you "turned the key" is that all you did or did you start it as well? If you only turned the key then the oil pressure LED will be full brightness untill you start the engine and it should then go off.

Moisture across the oil pressure switch can cause the Oil Pressure LED to glow dimly but if is fully on with engine running then you need to locate the switch and check the wiring from it and upwards into the junction box in the engine bay. The switch is located near the pushrod tubes on the left side of the engine when looking at the engine from the rear.

There is little you can do regards testing the switch but you could disconnect the wire and turn the ignition on and check if the LED is off. That will at least eliminate wiring issues if it is off.

Other than that it is a case of either replacing the oil switch (assuming you have oil in the sump) or measuring the oil pressure which is more tricky. Hopefully it is nothing serious
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

sarahandthebear

Hello thanks for the reply I had the engine on at first When I saw the dim light then I turned it off and turned the key once it came on full then when starting the engine just dimmed. I have just checked the wire and it is broken it is exposed so I have put some electrical tape around it for now as for the oil I do keep topping her up we are half on the dipstick tonight but have got some perky pushrods

sarahandthebear

Little update on the oil light issue. The van has been sat again for two days so I went out to start her up again I cheacked the oil on the dipstic it was half way between the two notches. I then went into the cab and turned the key once all the lights came on at full brightness including the oil light. I turned the engine on and the lights went out but the oil light just got dimmer. I sat there letting the engine get warm and I'm almost certain it began to very slowly get brighter. But still not at full light. I went to the back and under the van left hand side of the engine to inspect the oil switch wire and have to admit it is very worse for wears I have it a wiggle and went back to the van and still on but very dim. Any ideas me and the wife are going out in a while to drive around and see the Christmas lights so a good long drive for the van I think I may just top up the oil slightly see how it goes anyway if anybody can shed some light onto this mysterious light I would be very grateful

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Just to tell you about my recent "faint oil light " problem, it might help you out.
Oil light on with ignition, went out on start up but then came on very very faintly when driving. Sometimes it got brighter and other times it faded, it was only really noticeable sometimes when driving in the dark. After asking on here and facebook i did a few things to sort it out.
Unplugged and carefully cleaned (sprayed with electrical contact cleaner) the 14 pin connector- right hand side under the dash/instrument cover.
Replaced the wire from the pressure switch that goes into the engine bay- it had gone a bit hard and the connection in the engine bay wasn't the best.
While i was at it i bought a new pressure switch.
Now all sorted but as i had been stop starting the van on the drive for about an hour i did the wire and the pin cleaning together before starting it again. I think my problem was a dirty 14 pin connection.
Did you recently test your oil pressure, maybe you've damaged the wire from it ?
David
the future is unwritten

sarahandthebear

Thank you I'm almost certain it's the switch itself and the wire I just wanted to be 100% first so I'll change out the switch and get a new wire I'm sure it will be fixed then thanks for your time I'm very slowly teaching myself about how it all works so you will all have to bare with me whilst I learn

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

If it's the switch wouldn't the oil light flash at full brightness?
There's a module in the dash that does the sensing and flashing so a bad connection at the switch wouldn't cause a dim light. I think your problem is either in that module or the wiring around it.
The multiway connector causes all sorts of grief with bad connections, I'd be suspecting that.
Hope you find it. :|
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

A 1984 model is simpler with the LED connected to the switch, it doesn't flash like post 1986 models with the more complex Oil pressure warning system. (Assuming it is the original dash pod)

Take the lead off the switch if you can and switch the ignition on. If the LED is off then any leakage current is to do with the switch. If the LED still glows but dimly then you have a wiring fault causing the problem.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior