DJ engine expertise near Oxfordshire?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Florence the Komet
80-90 Mem No: 15792

DJ engine expertise near Oxfordshire?

Post by Florence the Komet »

Hello everyone.
My DJ (factory injected) engine has just had a service (oil & filter, air & fuel filters, spark plugs and new HT leads, distributor cap and roter arm).
I'm hoping to use this opportunity to find out the condition of the engine. Can anyone recommend a trustworthy person with good knowledge of the DJ, not too far from Oxfordshire, or even offer their own expertise in giving the engine a once over? From reading on here im thinking compression test and timing, but I'd be greatful for any guidance about good people to take her to and/or what tests/adjustments to ask for.
With a 13th month old baby and plans for another, I'm hoping to for an overview of the engine's health, before commiting money to sorting the seam rash etc.
Thank you in advance people
Tom
1989 WBX Petrol 2.1 DJ 5-speed

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: DJ engine expertise near Oxfordshire?

Post by itchyfeet »

ignition timing should be checked periodically but you can do a pretty close check yourself with no equipment.
A better check needs a strobe but they are not so expenside at maybe 40 quid

Compression check of cylinders is a good check of condition, again best to do every year or so to see if there is decline, again about 40 quid for the tool.

Oil pressure check is also worth while, again 40 quid for thde tool.

All this can be done yourself, oil pressure is the hardest of the covers over pushrods are trapped under exhaust studs you may not want to disturb them.

Buying ths tools and learning how to do it will payoff if you intend to keep this vehicle.

I and others can talk you through the tols and checks if you choose that route.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Post by sarahandthebear »

There's a guy in kenilworth called bob I can get you his company details it is a drive from oxford but he is hot on these vans he fixed our water pump and put on a new fuel tank and knows his way around the van may be a bit far for you though
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

Florence the Komet
80-90 Mem No: 15792

Post by Florence the Komet »

Thanks to you both.
Itchyfeet its great to have clear guidance on what's needed. I'll read up on timing, compression and oil pressure check, but also get a quote or two. Theres a VW Commercial garage near me so presumably they would do these for me in a knowledgable away now i know what to ask for. Im happy to build up my knowledge and skills slowly as I really am starting from nothing.
Well nearly nothing - I was able to advise a breakdown guy this week that he might want to try looking for the engine in the back! Didnt fill me with confidence!
Sarahandthebear, i might hold off for now incase i find anything closer but will 'bear' your offer in mind.
1989 WBX Petrol 2.1 DJ 5-speed