DG to DJ ?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

woodguru
80-90 Mem No: 6202

DG to DJ ?

Post by woodguru »

Can anyone explain the basic differences between the DG and the DJ engines, apart from cc. I was considering replacing my knackered DG engine with a Golf GTI lump, but due to the extra complications because mine T25 is an Auto, I've been told by the garage that I'd be better off sticking with the boxer, but get bigger the 2.1 instead, after chatting with the guys at Cool Air today, I've learned that the cooling systems are not the same, does anyony here know what the differencer are ?? :roll:
Doh !!!!!!! 1990 1.9 petrol auto transporter and 1985 caravelle ( project )

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: DG to DJ ?

Post by itchyfeet »

Putting cooling system to one side for a moment

DJ was only built in a late case, an early DG can be converted but the case needs mods, heads are very slightly different too.

Late DG and DJ cooling systems are the same appart form the oil cooler connections at water pump and thermostat housing.

Assuming you have a late DG then the differences are:

Crankshaft
Camshaft
Pistons ( DJ or MV both fit)
Bolt on oil cooler.

This is only important if you are building it, if you buy a DJ it will bolt straight in, ideally you add the oil cooler but it's not essential in UK

Obviously there is the fuel injection system but a DJ will run happily with the DG carb and fuel pump, loads are doing it.

If you have an early cooling system no problem but you need to adapt the plumbing a bit for the oil cooler
If you have a late DG then you just need a 2.1 thermostat housing and a 2.1 water pump for the oil cooer connections
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

southernscouse
80-90 Mem No: 2434

Post by southernscouse »

at what engine number or year did an early dg become a late dg thanks

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

southernscouse wrote:at what engine number or year did an early dg become a late dg thanks
dunno 1985 I think

For the cooling system if your thermostat housing is metal and bolted to your water pump it's early

For the engine you can tell by two ways:

Early DG has only one oil pressure switch, late has two the second attached to a buzzer.

That's not so helpful for those who don't know because they are burried and you could have a late DG in an early van or vice versa.

So to tell if your core engine is early or late very easily look behind carb by gearbox

Imageearly late case by Paul_Barr, on Flickr
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

I assume it's a late, as it has plastic coolant pipes. In this scenario, a DJ will drop straight in and your cooling system will fit. But have you fixed it since we last went over this question (3.5 years ago!)?
It needed new coolant pipes (insert migration), and a sticking throttle that gave an occasional unplanned Italian tune-up. Don't bother fitting another engine until you fix the likely causes of the damage to the current one.

Sent from my B1-830 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Moonrakers
80-90 Mem No: 13705

Post by Moonrakers »

itchyfeet wrote:Putting cooling system to one side for a moment

DJ was only built in a late case, an early DG can be converted but the case needs mods, heads are very slightly different too.

Late DG and DJ cooling systems are the same appart form the oil cooler connections at water pump and thermostat housing.

Assuming you have a late DG then the differences are:

Crankshaft
Camshaft
Pistons ( DJ or MV both fit)
Bolt on oil cooler.

This is only important if you are building it, if you buy a DJ it will bolt straight in, ideally you add the oil cooler but it's not essential in UK

Obviously there is the fuel injection system but a DJ will run happily with the DG carb and fuel pump, loads are doing it.

If you have an early cooling system no problem but you need to adapt the plumbing a bit for the oil cooler
If you have a late DG then you just need a 2.1 thermostat housing and a 2.1 water pump for the oil cooer connections

That's what you call a concise, comprehensive answer. Great work, sir.
Current VW: 1986 Devon Moonraker, pop-top, 1.9 DG, 5-Speed