Dirty Carburetor

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Lilylilyone
80-90 Mem No: 0

Dirty Carburetor

Post by Lilylilyone »

Hi
I've got a T25 1990 1.9 Petrol which I bought last year. Problem is it has got dirt in the carburetor which is proving very difficult to remove. The engine will suddenly die during a journey, but will be able to be restarted immediately. I've had the carburetor cleaned twice, there's an inline fuel filter which is clean and I don't let the fuel tank go below half way but it still manages to get dirt clogging up the valves. Apart from replacing the old fuel tank and purging all the pipes is there anything else I can do?

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Dirty Carburetor

Post by CovKid »

Could be a failing fuel pump rather than dirt. The filter should catch it all - other than moisture.

First make sure hidden plastic cone filter inside brass carb inlet is clean, but its not uncommon for a pump past its best to cause the engine to die randomly because float bowl runs too low for wide throttle openings. May be enough for it to start but not enough when engine demands more fuel. Do check that cone filter first though. If its not pump, it could be sticking float valve - unless you've fitted a carb kit in living memory.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Lilylilyone
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Lilylilyone »

Thanks for your reply - I will investigate!

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

Fuel pipes breaking down?
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

tobydog wrote:Fuel pipes breaking down?
Yes, pull the pipe going to the carb and drain a bit of juice off,see what colour it is. Had to change my lines earlier this year, fuel filter all clear but petrol coming through the engine lines was brown and full of floaters. Worth a quick look.
David
the future is unwritten

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

floaters :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

CovKid wrote:floaters :D
There's now't worse!!
David.
the future is unwritten