WBX Storage?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

WBX Storage?

Post by itchyfeet »

Quite a few people now have spare WBX and I'm wondering how people store them?

In my opinion it will be very hard to stop head stud corrosion of a used WBX( i.e. not freshly rebuilt) because of the coolant left inside and the build up if deposits in the water jacket.

In particular corrosion seems to happen where the studs go through the head, deposits here will hold moisture, also where the studs are very close to the barrels, again deposits and rust from barrels holding moisture.

I think the best method of storage is with heads off and then the barrels and studs can be periodically sprayed with oil.

a used WBX could have the head drain screws removed then hot air blown through the water jacket, I have done this before with a vacuum cleaner left on for an hour or more, the heat from the motor warms the air quite a bit.
The engine then needs storing preferably in a heated building and oil sprayed in bores, engine turned over once in a while.

I can't see the problem with a freshly built WBX being stored as long as its dry , preferably heated building but it seems to me if you were rebuilding it yourself leave heads off until you need it.

Any thoughts?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: WBX Storage?

Post by CJH »

I agree about the moisture. Even if the bit of water left inside is the proper coolant mix, I've heard that it can 'sweat' - i.e. the water evaporates out of the coolant, then condenses on the cooler surfaces, and the condensate will now be plain water, without any rust inhibitor. I don't know how true that is - it would depend on the volatility of the coolant I guess.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: WBX Storage?

Post by silverbullet »

Hard to know but I would defer to the assumption that any used wbx is suspect and needs to be stripped and assessed before re-use.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk