Fuel expansion tanks problem - please help!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

johnnyB
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fuel expansion tanks problem - please help!

Post by johnnyB »

Hi, I was replacing the rubber seal on the n/side expansion tank under the wheel arch (t25 2.0l) when I realised I had pulled off the breather hose thats connected to the float valve (from somewhere above the tank) I've taken wheel off & searched with hands above the tank and a torch to try & find where it was connected but to no avail... can anyone shed any light on this?... I'd hate to have to have the tank down (had this done once by a mechanic) - are the two float valves connected in some way? Fingers crossed someone can help... thank you...
1982 2.0l Aircooled pop-top auto

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Fuel expansion tanks problem - please help!

Post by R0B »

This should help..https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/vana ... 201-32000/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

I have just done this job as mine was leaking on fill up. Did tank out as I wanted to be sure I had seen / replaced all hoses.

I don't know what you mean by a float valve, there isn't one. There are three pipes to be concerned about on the near side.

On the plastic Y connector (6 on the diagram) there is a large pipe that goes to a similar connector on the right hand side of the tank. The other side of the Y piece has some 5.5mm hose which connects to a plastic pipe and then connects by another section of hose to the front connector on the breather tank. See connector 16

The rear connection has hose to plastic pipe to a longer section of hose. This connects to a metal breather pipe on the top of the tank. This runs forward from the rear of the tank towards the front. See connector 15.

It's probably connector 15 or 16 that is loose.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

float valve - number 14 in above linked diagram.
What do you mean there isn't one? There's two.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

OK, I'll stand corrected - the float valves are on the breather tanks, whereas I was only referring to the fuel tank which is where I believed the hose had been pulled off.

The hose / pipe from the float valve simply connects to the "trumpet" which vents to atmosphere. The trumpets deteriorate and fall apart leaving just the pipe showing.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine