Snapped gear lever - refurb kit advice

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Snapped gear lever - refurb kit advice

Post by muttleypup »

Been meaning to look at/refurb the gear lever and socket/linkage as the change was a bit sloppy and on Saturday night it got VERY sloppy. Managed to get it to the other halfs place and just into reverse to park on drive then the stick snapped clean off. Hurrah! Thoughts of recovery trucks and much money needed plus no work on Monday as it's my daily driver and work truck. Got under it on Sunday and removed the shroud only to find the detent plunger and spring lying in the shroud, no bellows left at all but surprisingly the ball bearing for the detent was sitting in the grease on one of the guides. Only option on a Sunday was to try and weld it and put back together with what parts were there so made up a snug fitting rod rod to slide inside the (stupidly) hollow gear lever to add a bit of strength and take up any flex, lined it up best i could and welded in place. Fitted the detent plunger, ball bearing/spring in first go, simples!!
I'm reluctant to shell out on a new stick at around £200 but that may have to happen if this one fails again however i now need to sort out new bellows and protective cap plus the band the bearing sits in, oh and a ball bearing as i might not be so lucky next time :) but am wondering which refurb kit is the best to go for re the socket on the floor? It's a 5 speed/14mm stick
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Snapped gear lever - refurb kit advice

Post by itchyfeet »

one here I pmed but never got a reply so call I guess

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=162482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

Thanks, but if i do have to replace it will be with a new one as they are solid not hollow (only available solid now), i figure a used one will be standard/hollow and could well do the same as it's not an unknown issue as a quick Google proved! Hoping the rod though the centre of it will prevent another break.

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

I've not done mine but I helped Winchweight do his and pretty sure he got all the parts (Onion, gearstick etc) from BW
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

OK thanks i'll have a trawl through what parts they have available, I guess if it's BW it's going to fit/work! :)

jamesakers
80-90 Mem No: 14421

Post by jamesakers »

Brickwerks have all the refurb bits you need: https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/gear-lever ... speed.html

I refurbished mine last year, ended up replacing the stick with new in the end. Details here: https://vwt25.blog/2016/03/06/gear-lever-refurbishment/
Sir Adventure - 1991 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9DG Petrol
https://vwt25.blog/

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

That's the job, cheers i shall start shopping. Funnily enough when i was scouring tinterweb on Sunday morning i came across your blog re gear linkage and bookmarked it for future ref, small world!!