Are all cranshaft pulleys the same?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T3BUS
80-90 Mem No: 0

Are all cranshaft pulleys the same?

Post by T3BUS »

Been musing over my timing issues as per previous post. Replaced my 1.9 dg with a 2.1 bottoms end (dj) fitted with mv barrels and pistons. Retrofitted all dg components, carb etc including the dg crankshaft pulley which has the two marks for timing which I'm unable to line up without the engine dying. Seems to run ok with the marks sitting about 10 to 15 degrees to the left of the crankcase split. Does the mv motor have a different pulley with respect to timing marks? Obviously I'm trying to get it spot on! Any advice, knowledge gratefully received.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Are all cranshaft pulleys the same?

Post by Aidan »

There are two pulleys, one for the DJ original 4 star spec with 10 degree and tdc marks and the 1.9 and MV one and DJ after end of leaded fuel which are marked at 5 degrees and TDC, if you bought a replacement DJ from VW in 2000 it came with a new 5 degree pulley and instructions to change the timing to suit unleaded

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Are all cranshaft pulleys the same?

Post by silverbullet »

IIRC the 5 degree one has the notches about 7mm apart on the circumference, the 10 degree being twice that, obvs.
Check for vacuum leaks especially the capsule on the dizzy, they are all getting very old and the diaphragms inside eventually tear and pass air, making the engine run lean (Brickwerks sell a replacement)

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk