No Compression 2.1 Dj lpg converted

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nonny112i
80-90 Mem No: 9995

No Compression 2.1 Dj lpg converted

Post by nonny112i »

Right Story so far is.. 2.1 DJ Just recently towed my Van too my friends Garage and it had overheated on a 9mile journey.
I had pulled over and the water was boiling up whistling out of the header cap for a good 10minutes. Tried her again she just turned over and seemed like there was no compression. It had over heated on me 6montha ago which turned out too be a thermostat so that was changed then. But caused a slight leak from the head soo kept an eye on it and topped her up every long journey as it was hardly dripping but did.
Anyway at my friends garage we decided it was time too take the plunge and do the headgaskets he's had the heads checked for compression all ok and built the engine up today still with what he thinks is No compression?? Any Ideas? (He also asked how do you time the bottom end?) And also when we towed the van over too him I kept the ignition on and when we got there there some plastic melting from the ignition coil? Has anyone had that before? So we changed the coil as well. My mate at the Garage is going too get a compression tester tomorrow then maybe drop the engine out for a deeper inspection. Any Advice would be Amazing Cheers Jonny
2.1Dj 1988 ex British airways mini bus now a camper. Happy days

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: No Compression

Post by CJH »

Not sure what you mean by 'timing the bottom end'. Did he have the engine case halves apart, or did he just remove the heads? If he had the case halves apart then maybe he's asking about how to time the camshaft. There should be a mark on the camshaft ring gear that aligns between two marks on the crankshaft gear. If these were not aligned then the valve timing could be out, which would explain the loss of compression. But if the crank case wasn't separated then he must simply mean how do you set up the ignition timing. Is yours a factory DJ with fuel injection, or a DJ case under a Pierburg carb?
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

CJH

Re: No Compression 2.1 Dj lpg converted

Post by CJH »

OK, from your username I'm assuming you've got a factory DJ with fuel injection. I believe you need to remove the advance and retard pipes from the distributor vacuum can, then set the timing to either 5 degrees BTDC or 10 degrees BTDC at idle, depending on whether you've got normal unleaded or super unleaded in the tank.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

If you just changed head gaskets ( as I read it) and then set preload on tappets then you will have no compression until hydraulic cam lifters equalise, say 12 hours
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Are we sure the push rods are seated correctly , and not sitting on the edge of either the tappet or the arm?
I had this years ago, and it gave the impression of poor compression ?
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

nonny112i

Post by nonny112i »

My Friends just messaged me know, " No I think the compression was gone before the heads were removed. I remember you saying it sounds like it’s lost compression. What are the chances of crank and cam going out of time??"

CJH

Post by CJH »

nonny112i wrote:What are the chances of crank and cam going out of time??"

Nil, unless the case halves were separated.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

nonny112i wrote:My Friends just messaged me know, " No I think the compression was gone before the heads were removed. I remember you saying it sounds like it’s lost compression. What are the chances of crank and cam going out of time??"

I have seen pictures of a snapped cam, did you pull the oil pump?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

As usual apologies if I am teaching granny to suck eggs so to speak but:
You should be able to tell all you need to know simply, easily said, by turning the engine over slowly by hand in the right direction and observing the relationship between the crankshaft, pistons and valves using the suck compress bang blow sequence as a guide. If you leave the plugs out but connected and resting on the engine you can also confirm on each cylinder that the both valves are closed when the spark occurs. In the absence of a compression tester simply spinning the engine with a finger blocking the plug holes in turn will at least indicate whether any compression is present at all on any of the cylinders. Not if you have very long skinny fingers though and try not to get a :shock: off the leads. If you temporarily remove the push rods or disable the lifters in some way, depending on engine, you should be able to tell whether the valves are sealing properly. (interesting that "cam lifters equalizing comment - never thought of that)

CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

nonny112i

Post by nonny112i »

Right soo the plot thickens cheers itchy you where right it was the lifters that needed too equalise it started the next day.
But overheated in 5mins and pressured up white smoke oil in the water etc which suggests the headgaskets which he has just done have gone??
The friend of mine has had 11years in the motor trade so is well capable.
We now think when he took the heads off a couple of liners came out slightly, that they haven't seated right and he has now took the whole engine out and stripped it down too get it sent off as he doesn't have the tool?? (anyone got the tool or know when too get it from too get the piston heads off?)
Too get the piston heads off too then hone the boars and re seal the liners new rings etc you get 4 big black o rings which you get in the seal kit (should he have changed these in the first place with the liners been pulled out slightly or anyway?) (anyone got the tool or know when too get it from too get the piston heads off?) Itchy what do you mean by oil pump?

Cheers for any help you've all been grand so far taa Jonny

nonny112i

Post by nonny112i »

No we haven't touched the oil pump I do t think Itchy why?

nonny112i

Post by nonny112i »

The good news though she was running smoothly :)

CJH

Post by CJH »

You should take a look at Itchyfeet's WBXlog thread, particularly this post about removing the pistons.

I doubt your engine overheated in 5 minutes - it's more likely that the cooling system pressurised from compression gasses leaking past the top seal - this will cause symptoms that look like overheating, but without so much heat.