Starting issue

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jody78
80-90 Mem No: 13806

Starting issue

Post by Jody78 »

Hi,

We have been having ongoing starting issues with our 1.6td for some time, You turn the key and sometimes nothing happens, just a click. It used to turn the engine over after about 4 turns, but now nothing. All of the lights are on on the dash, but nothing happens when you turn the key. There is a click at the front and back of the van. After charging the battery, this made no difference. I have just changed the starter, but still no joy. There is charge to the starter, but only about 11.5volts though. I just turned the key about 4 or 5 times wiggling the key and heard a funny noise from under the wiring cover in the engine bay. The glow plug relay is now making a really funny noise. I have just ordered a new one, but does anyone think that is even going to cure the starting issue. I don’t think it will, but I don’t know anything about cars or vans!

Assuming it won’t fix the problem. Can anyone suggest what I should be checking next? Step by step instructions would be good. Or is it just better to get an auto electrician in to solve this? Does anyone know if you can you buy a Haynes manual for a 1.6 td?

Any advice would be amazing. We are based in Cornwall.

Cheers

Jody

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Re: Starting issue

Post by Porkscratching »

Hi Jody, I have a 1.6 diesel and my Haynes dosen't touch any diesel engines. Can't really help with your woes as it could be quite a few things. I could suggest checking and cleaning all your earth contacts, high and low ampage. I'd also be looking into the low voltage issue.

Best of luck, regards, Max
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Manuals available to club members. See members only chat once you are members.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Jody78
80-90 Mem No: 13806

Post by Jody78 »

It was a bad earth contact. All sorted now!

I’ll try to login to the members area to look at the manuals shortly.

Cheers

Jody