Starter Motor Trouble

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

Starter Motor Trouble

Post by The Hairy Camper »

Starter Motor doesn't seem to be the best on my Van (1.7 KY). Mechanic commented on it last time it was in the garage.

I noticed this (very cold) morning, that nothing happened when i turned the key, for about 6 times. 7th time it started. Battery has just been replaced, so i don't think it's that either. I let the glow plug light go out every time.

Pretty sure it's the motor as the van clicks once when you turn the key, but the starter motor doesn't even try to go, but when it does, the van starts first time.

Can these be repaired? Or should i invest in a new one? I'm going away in the van this weekend, so if anyone has any advice for me (if i get stuck) that would be appreciated. I do have break down cover though :lol:

Cheers.
1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Starter Motor Trouble

Post by CovKid »

Replace the solenoid on the starter (roughly £30). But rule out ignition switch and small spade wire connector on starter first.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

Post by The Hairy Camper »

Cheers CovKid, is it pretty straight forward to check the ignition switch and small spade wire connector?

I'm no mechanic, but don't mind getting my hands dirty :D

Where would you recommend buying a solenoid from? GSF? Euro carparts?
1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Solenoid, personally I use ebay. Seems to reap better prices. First job though is to get underneath and make REALLY sure that small wire (usually blue) has a good connection on starter. Without that it won't trigger solenoid - hence no start. If it seems slightly loose or badly corroded - replace the spade. Poor connections are a common cause of intermittent starter problems and its worth paying attention to starter before the snow/ice arrives. Theres also a thick braided wire that goes into side of starter. It can corrode (inside or outside the starter) and eventually fail. Check it carefully and that it feels secure at both ends. All is fixable and it might pay you to remove starter after disconnecting battery and giving the connections a really good clean with a wire brush. You could also check state of carbon brushes (about £7 to replace) by popping end cap off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNKSeAAd3rk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You don't need any special skills - just a determination not to be fleeced for a new starter. DO NOT test it off the vehicle though as one end relies on a bearing inside bellhousing, and running it 'free' can damage the internals.

I can't add much more but if you need specifics of testing, theres lots on here already regarding ignition switch etc.

I have two starters. One is on the vehicle and the other is already overhauled and ready to fit should the one on vehicle play up. After 30 years of the same faults everyone else experiences, I found that is the most frugal and sensible way to go ;) So may people exchange starters that could be easily fixed at home.

I keep meaning to do a full starter rebuild as its straightfoward and noone seems to have done a full video with all the potential faults and how to fix them. Sure there will be those that just part with £150+ regardless but thats up to them :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

It's a diesel. The starter motor has both bearings.

And you can test it off the van if you must.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

If it's a Bosch starter it can be easily repaired and will last longer than a chinese starter.
Any local Alternator/Starter repair shop will do it.
I had solenoid done and it cost £25 for the Bosch solenoid.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Post by sarahandthebear »

We have the same problem at the moment but will take covkids advice of maybe changing out the trigger wire first I say this because the other day I was messing with the wire and it did not turn the starter over at all I then cleaned the connection and the clicking started again and still dose until she starts so we are going to buy the wire of brickworks and try that first
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker