solenoid problems

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

solenoid problems

Post by sarahandthebear »

For the past week we have been having some problems starting our van 1.9 1984 petrol DG and now it won't start at all. We think its the solenoid or even possibly the starter motor. When we turned the key sometimes all you would here was a click this would happen 3 or 4 times before starting but now its a very faint click if a click at all. I have looked at the wires and wd40 them and next step is to look at the solenoid i was looking to order a new one but can't find one anywhere. i am thinking is it the starter motor and if so is it best to buy a new one or try and fix the one i have it dose look very rusty and has a white powder on the starter what is the best course of action :ok
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: solenoid problems

Post by AngeloEvs »

You seem to be having a bit of bad luck. Might be worth checking the connections at the starter then, if necessary remove the starter to have it tested. I would buy a replacement and keep the one you have and have it looked at if possible. I have had two starters fail over a period of 10 years so a spare is always useful.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

sarahandthebear

Not much luck at all but have to say still loving it and the van is so worth all the work. We have been doing some research online and tomorrow are going to start cleaning the wires and connectors first if no luck then we will remove the starter and have a closer looks at what's going on hopefully can fix it without having to buy a new part as we can really find them anywhere and we would rather keep the original. May look for videos on how to take it apart and clean the brushes etc.

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Pull the starter motor, attached to it is the Solenoid. Just buy that part. Make sure it has 40mm stud on the replacement. Brickwerks also do an exchange scheme if you want to change the starter motor too. Most local Indy’s know a local guy who will check and refurb it though, est. £50 for refurb. of your existing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

Is the battery Ok?
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

sarahandthebear

lefty67 wrote:Is the battery Ok?

Going to cheack all the electrics and battery today the batty seems fine but I did notice that the earth lead looked a little dirty and rusty so it could be that maybe a quick clean then I'm going to cheack the wireing on the solanoid this dose sound silly guys but on the top part of the engine attached to the left hand side is what I thought was the solinoied is a black tube with wires coming off to the dizzy. Upon more reaserch I found the solinoied is attatched to the top of the starter motor so what's the other one and could that be part of the problem :ok

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

Mine does the same thing clicks a few times then starts,I bought a new starter motor cleaned all connections Inc earth crowns still exactly the same.next I'm going to replace the white plastic gubbins on th ignition switch if that don't work T5 here I come(Not really)

sarahandthebear

I cleaned all the terminals and then unplugged the solinoied trigger wire I then cleaned and reattached and it started ticking on turn over then started so it's the wire but could it be the solinoied starter

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

that trigger wire is a known issue, they go high resistance as they rot internally , water runs up the cable by capillary action.... chop it back to good clean copper, or better still replace it from the ignition switch down to the starter, or it wont go away.....
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

I bought two new solenoids before replacing the trigger wire and remaking the earthing. Easier to replace the solenoid, more time consuming and effective to replace the trigger wire.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.