Kangarooing/engine cutting out

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Born Too Late
80-90 Mem No: 14236

Kangarooing/engine cutting out

Post by Born Too Late »

Our engine's recently developed a worrying fault; starts immediately, ticks over nice and smooth and drives perfectly for some time but after a while (30 miles or so) starts to kangaroo before losing power and cutting out. Last time out it restarted ok got a couple of hundred yards and cut out again, left it a few minutes restarted ok and made it 3 miles home with no further trouble.

I thought it might be a fuel delivery problem but reading the wiki and some other posts I'm starting to think it might be oil pressure? The oil pressure light hasn't come on while driving (only on start up as it should) and there's been no buzzer (no idea if it's still connected though as it's a recon engine).

Do these symptoms sound like oil pressure? Any thoughts welcome before I call the garage.

Many thanks

Wes
Ziggy Starbus-1988 Autosleeper high top 2.1 injection
Lola-1977 Triumph Spitfire

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Re: Kangarooing/engine cutting out

Post by Ralf85 »

Have you checked the fuel filter. If it has muck in it that can cause these symptoms - that happened to me once. On another occasion, I also had the same symptoms caused by a hairline crack on the top of the distributor rotor arm. Both easily remedied problems.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Actually sounds like an ign problem, amplifier/hall sensor
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Chocciemuffin
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Chocciemuffin »

In other half's splittie with similar sounding problem there was a wiring issue, where things expanded when warm and a dodgy wiring connection became more tenuous. Can't be more specific but might be worth thinking about if the other suggestions don't find the cause.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

It could be heat-related. ie fuel delivery keeps up until engine is warm and then possibly fuel pump pushrod starts to bind in bakelite housing, reducing delivery to almost nothing, or even HT leads break down when engine is hot. Had both in my lifetime.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Born Too Late

Post by Born Too Late »

Ralf85 wrote:Have you checked the fuel filter.

Chocciemuffin wrote:In other half's splittie with similar sounding problem there was a wiring issue, where things expanded when warm and a dodgy wiring connection became more tenuous.

I'll have a look at the filter and wiring at the weekend, been planning to renew the engine and gearbox earth straps anyway so I'll have a good look over everything while there.

bigherb wrote:Actually sounds like an ign problem, amplifier/hall sensor

Is there a simple way to test this or is it a case of replace it and if the problems persists then it was something else?

Thanks for your suggestions I'll let you know what I find :ok

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Born Too Late wrote:
Ralf85 wrote:Have you checked the fuel filter.

Chocciemuffin wrote:In other half's splittie with similar sounding problem there was a wiring issue, where things expanded when warm and a dodgy wiring connection became more tenuous.

I'll have a look at the filter and wiring at the weekend, been planning to renew the engine and gearbox earth straps anyway so I'll have a good look over everything while there.

bigherb wrote:Actually sounds like an ign problem, amplifier/hall sensor

Is there a simple way to test this or is it a case of replace it and if the problems persists then it was something else?

Thanks for your suggestions I'll let you know what I find :ok
When it stalls check for spark immediately.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

CovKid wrote:It could be heat-related. ie fuel delivery keeps up until engine is warm and then possibly fuel pump pushrod starts to bind in bakelite housing, reducing delivery to almost nothing,

It's a 2.1 injection.

The ignition amplifiers either work or they don't. In my experience they run for ages then you go to restart the van and BAM ... nothing spark-wise. An essential spare to carry in the glovebox. (easy to pick up if you have a scrap yard local ... all the VW petrols of the same era use the same one ... Polo, Golf, Jetta, Scirocco.)

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

I hope it doesn't come to this but:
I had a similar problem with my 2.1 WBX yonks ago and everything tested seemed OK even including injector pulses. I had changed virtually the whole ignition system and was getting desperate when Aiden - bet he doesn't remember now - lent me an ECU which fixed it and which he kindly sold to me.

The difference in my case was that the fault cleared after an hour or so and then recurred almost immediately but cleared overnight after a vehicle recovery and then would recur anywhere between 4 and 58 miles later requiring another recovery. In all I was recovered 12 times fortunately by my mate who I have to say was becoming a bit p - No :roll: - tired of it by this time.
Hope it turns out to be something simple.
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Born Too Late

Post by Born Too Late »

I haven't got tot the bottom of this yet but over the winter I've ruled a few things out; replaced the HT leads as the resistance was way off, ignition amplifier is ok but realised I don't have an idle stabiliser, fuel delivery is good. The last time it happened I got the AA out who reckoned it was to do with the spark as suggested below by Bigherb.

So, I'm in the middle of replacing the Hall sensor using Brickwerk's kit but I'm having a bit of trouble getting the unit to line up with the holes where the screws go. It slides down the shaft easily most of the way but I really had to force it the last few mm. By that point the shaft wouldn't turn freely, as if the base plate wasn't level and was interfering.

I thought I might file a bit of the outside edge of the base plate so it sits level, that wouldn't damage it, would it?

Cheers

Wes

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Be aware that these Bosch ECUs have a couple of capacators and some big transistors on the circuit boards, after 30 years these will start to break down/short out and cause intermittent faults.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Born Too Late

Post by Born Too Late »

Well I think it's safe to say it was the Hall sender. 80 trouble-free miles after replacing it and not a hint of any misfiring/cutting out. Thanks to everyone who suggested possible solutions based on my shoddy description and thanks to Brickwerks for some outstanding customer service.

Wes