Fuel injecting a DG engine.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Fuel injecting a DG engine.

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Having successfully fuel injected a citroen 2cv6 engine I got to thinking I could do the same for my DG engine.
I'm after fuel economy over performance as long as I have no less performance than the carb gives me.
I'd probably be looking at a megasquirt system or similar for tunability but could use a DJ system to get it going.

1-Has anyone else done it?
2- will a DJ manifold fit on a DG engine? spacing between ports? size of ports etc?
3- are DJ manifolds readily available or like hens teeth?
4- would the increase in economy be worth it?

I've already considered LPG but conversion cost vs gains for the miles I do wouldn't be worth it.
EFI I can do myself and would enjoy the challenge which offsets the cost a bit.
LPG I'm not confident to do myself and would swear at it. :lol:
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Fuel injecting a DG engine.

Post by CJH »

Sounds like an interesting project.
bigbadbob76 wrote: 1-Has anyone else done it?
2- will a DJ manifold fit on a DG engine? spacing between ports? size of ports etc?
3- are DJ manifolds readily available or like hens teeth?
4- would the increase in economy be worth it?

I can answer a couple of those:
1. Yes, VW did it. VW made the DH and GW engines, which are DG hardware under fuel injection. This came up the other day in a discussion about the opposite, namely the DJ under a carb.
2. Yes - identical engine case and heads.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Thanks CJH. :ok
I've been reading "The Bible" about the DH engine, I take it these were a U.S. variant?..... E D I T ignore that, I'm just reading the link you sent, cheers. :D
If I use DJ or GW hardware (manifold/throttle body/injectors/idle valve etc)and a magasquirt I should have a decent system. :-)
Even with the digijet system I'd gain 13BHP which I wouldn't complain about as long as it didn't drink fuel like a camel at a water hole.
It would be a long term project involving slowly collecting parts as I can find / afford them but my van's a keeper so I'm in no rush.
Split case club member.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

I doubt it will improve your fuel economy.
My injected DJ does 23mpg about the same as my DG with carb on petrol, you might get an mpg or two but hardly worth it imo.

http://www.getlpg.org.uk/stations/isle-of-skye/2118/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

If it won't improve fuel economy I won't bother.

Re your link: yes I know. :roll: I can see it out of my window. :lol:
As I said above I'm not confident to do the conversion myself and getting someone to do it (would probably have to be down south) would make it not worth the cost for the miles I do in the van.
If it was my daily driver It would be worth it.
Split case club member.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

I have to say the injection system is great, starts on the button hot or cold and soooo smooth hot or cold.
Just like driving a modern engine :D
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

When the time comes to do something about my engine, I'd be open to putting a Dj in there if I can get one, or an injected DG as I don't find the engine lacking in power for what it is and what I use it for, it's no sports car that's for sure but it's not meant to be.
If the EFI would give me better fuel economy I'd do it now and swap it over to another engine when the time comes.
For now the engine is going strong and is reliable although I have slight water weep from the head seals and slight end float on the crank.
Personal circumstances mean we want to use it as much as pos and not put it off the road for engine work.
Long term I know it will either need a re-build or replacement but that time hasn't come yet. :D
Split case club member.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Mapped ignition and a lambda sensor might be a better route to improving fuel efficiency.
A distributor can only do so much, the MV Digifant system has a fixed distributor and the ecu decides the ignition timing.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

philyoung
80-90 Mem No: 15404

Post by philyoung »

I dont think you'll see much gain in fuel economy. Mine was originally an MV so has Digifant and a lambda, still only returns about 23mpg. If you could fit a crank sensor a programmable ECU and get sequential injection economy should improve (so I'm led to believe) but I doubt it would be economic.

Phil
1990 LHD 2.5WBX Syncro Krankenwagen

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

https://vwspeedshop.com/product.php?pro ... 394&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

bigbadbob76

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Nice kit Adie, not so nice price though. :shock:
I reckon I could do it with a 2nd hand microsquirt ECU (people buy them and then abandon the project) and Dj manifolds/throttle body/plenum etc.
Should come out not much over £500.
Or I could try it with an ecotrons system I already have on my trike but it only has 2 injectors.
But if it doesn't gain me economy I won't bother. :lol:
Split case club member.

Crewcab21
Trader

Post by Crewcab21 »

This thread popped up on Googles so I thought I'd up date it.
The popular way of doing the conversion is by using the hardware from a 2.1 and converting the throttle body
to accept a TPS for which there is a kit available.
Personally I'd give the Microsquirt/Megasquirt a miss

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Crewcab21 wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 10:35 This thread popped up on Googles so I thought I'd up date it.
The popular way of doing the conversion is by using the hardware from a 2.1 and converting the throttle body
to accept a TPS for which there is a kit available.
Personally I'd give the Microsquirt/Megasquirt a miss

I think it just all just comes down to cost.
When I bought my 2.1 engine it came with all the fuel injection stuff minus the ECU as I got conned out of it when buying the engine. I did look at buying a digijet ECU at the time but what people were asking for a 30 year old bit of kit was too much for me to part with. Having said that I didn't want to fit 30 year old injection stuff tech onto the van anyway, plus for the prices of the kits available that I saw it would be a good portion of money towards a subaru conversion. I like the general simplicity of the 2E3 setup but its still a bit akward when you get crap in it and have to clean it out or even mixture settings. With fuel prices soaring it might be worth a look just for the supposed better fuel economy or maybe just go for the subaru conversion.. or maybe a 1.8T.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Crewcab21
Trader

Post by Crewcab21 »

bigbadbob76 wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 13:51 Nice kit Adie, not so nice price though. :shock:
I reckon I could do it with a 2nd hand microsquirt ECU (people buy them and then abandon the project) and Dj manifolds/throttle body/plenum etc.
Should come out not much over £500.
Or I could try it with an ecotrons system I already have on my trike but it only has 2 injectors.
But if it doesn't gain me economy I won't bother. :lol:

That's a kit for a 2litre Aircooled and it's pretty cheap compared other offerings available.
Plenty of people out there have done a cheap fudge up with some old carbs and blown a motor- now that's what I call not a nice price