leaky purshrod tube

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

leaky purshrod tube

Post by Sir Brixalot »

2 Quick questions. Got a leak coming from pushrod tubes. I saw BWs telescopics. Can a single one be fitted or would they all need changing.
Honorary "Dave" 

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: leaky purshrod tube

Post by CJH »

You can change a single one. I have a set of these fitted - I chose them over the squash-type so that I could get to the tappets easily if necessary.

You can buy a single one or a set of 8 - the link above is to a single one from Just Kampers (who are out of stock of the sets of eight), but they're also available from VW Heritage (slightly more expensive). VWH don't list them as being for the T25, but they definitely fit.

I lubed the seals with assembly lube while assembling my engine, so that they would settle into position better. I gave the tubes a bit of a twist as well for the same reason. The springs are quite strong and I noticed that after a day or two they became almost impossible to twist again, presumably because the seals had shaped themselves to their seats. No leaks so far.

E D I T: That's odd, the JK link doesn't work, but if you search for their part number J27886 you'll find them.
Last edited by CJH on 20 Sep 2017, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Cheers mate. Had a hefty quote from the garage so going to do what I can myself. Mechanic said the head would have to come off.
Honorary "Dave" 

CJH

Post by CJH »

Sir Brixalot wrote:Mechanic said the head would have to come off.

That's true if you want to salvage the old tube - you'll need to destroy it to get it out if the head stays on. You'll need to take the rocker shaft off to get the pushrod out before removing the leaky tube. With the engine in situ the pushrods can easily drop out of the cups in the ends of the tappets, and when you reassemble you need to make sure they are re-seated properly. If they're not, they can ride on the edge of the tappet, and maybe cause damage. You'll know if they're seated properly if the rocker shaft goes back on without you having to adjust the rocker screws.

CJH

Post by CJH »

CJH wrote:You'll know if they're seated properly if the rocker shaft goes back on without you having to adjust the rocker screws.

Actually that's not correct. You should adjust the rocker screws anyway. You'll know if the pushrods are seated properly if you're able to wind the rocker screw away from the valve stem when the valve is closed. If the pushrod is riding on the edge of the tappet there won't be enough adjustment in the screw.

CJH

Post by CJH »

CJH wrote:
E D I T: That's odd, the JK link doesn't work, but if you search for their part number J27886 you'll find them.

The link I pasted into that URL has the word 'Aircooled' in it (with a lower case 'a').

It doesn't work because the lower case 'a' is being converted to a capital 'A' (and of course it's happening to every instance of Aircooled in this post too). This is evidently the forum software at work again. The same software that gives us the Ford Transit and the Caravan.

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Got it back from MOT took the covers off and had a look and it's actually the pressure switch that's leaking. Looks like its the wrong switch, it's black and I think it should be blue
Honorary "Dave"