1.6 Aircooled air filter - is a bit missing?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TrentLock
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.6 Aircooled air filter - is a bit missing?

Post by TrentLock »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so please, be nice / bear with me... :)
We became the proud owners of a 1981 1.6 T25 with a CT engine about six months ago. I am not very mechanically minded but thanks to the info / posts on this site and an aversion to spending more big money with a mechanic, I am slowly picking bits up.
Anyway, while in the engine bay the other day I noticed the air filter box has an oval opening facing the rear of the van on the right (photo attached, circled). I guess this is where air goes in(?). My question is, should something be connected there? If so what and does anyone have a part number / link? This photo from Google seems to show something there https://i.ytimg.com/vi/I-wyU58BEJE/maxresdefault.jpg
I ask because I discovered the pipes that run from each heat exchanger to the air distributor pipework aren't really held on by anything substantial (need new jubilee clips) and the air distributor part is cracked / melted (new one sourced) where it joins the alternator fan(?) and goes through the tin on the right. The heating pipework and other work on the van has uncovered previous owner(s) neglect so I wouldn't be surprised if a bit is simply missing.

Cheers!
Attachments
Engine Photo
Engine Photo
eng175602.gif (138.73 KiB) Viewed 2103 times

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Re: 1.6 Aircooled air filter - is a bit missing?

Post by lefty67 »

I think your right. There should be a pipe there which goes up into the void behind rear vent. Not sure of the part number or availability but can use something like the corrugated flexible ducting pipe.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Yes it should have a vacuum operated preheating flap with pipes to pick up warm or cool air (not shown in the picture).
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

TrentLock
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by TrentLock »

Thanks for that info. If anyone has the same engine and fancies taking a look for a part number I'd be grateful :)
I guess there's no harm running the engine without that vacuum unit attached? (I've not noticed anything so far...)

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/ca ... 609/lang/e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above will give you part numbers.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine