1.9dg early to late straight swap?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25_steveo
80-90 Mem No: 15670

1.9dg early to late straight swap?

Post by T25_steveo »

Hi I'm after a bit of help. I currently have a 1.9dg early engine which is dead. I've been offered 2 second hand replacement engines by different sellers. One being early and one late. The late one is £150 cheaper. What I'd like to know is how much work is involved in going from early to late. There water pipes seem a totally different layout and I'm not sure with regards to wiring. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: 1.9dg early to late straight swap?

Post by kevtherev »

There is no issue
The late engine is identical
All your cooling system will reattach without issue.
As wwill the wiring and exhaust
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

T25_steveo

Post by T25_steveo »

Thanks for the info I read somewhere there's an extra oil pressure switch is this the case. Thanks

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Early van wiring is different than late van wiring ... DOPS (Buzzer of Doom), temperature gauge sender etc so you would need to strip the late stuff and fit a bare 1.9DG case into your early van OR swap the cooling system to the late (easier to get everything for and much cheaper when you do) but you need all the front to back pipes etc etc and if you are worried about the £150 that's probably not for you AND you still have the wiring issues to surmount.

Cheers, Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

T25_steveo

Post by T25_steveo »

Ian Hulley wrote:Early van wiring is different than late van wiring ... DOPS (Buzzer of Doom), temperature gauge sender etc so you would need to strip the late stuff and fit a bare 1.9DG case into your early van OR swap the cooling system to the late (easier to get everything for and much cheaper when you do) but you need all the front to back pipes etc etc and if you are worried about the £150 that's probably not for you AND you still have the wiring issues to surmount.

Cheers, Ian.

Thanks Ian, that's very helpful. Although the seller has send I can have the lot a complete turn key this doesn't include the pipes under the van leading to the rad and heater exchange. I think I may just be better off paying the extra and getting the early as it's a straight swap. This is off an auto would this make a difference at all or still a straight swap. Cheers

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

There is a hose junction at the front of the engine that has 2 extra outlets on an auto than yours does. IF you can acquire all the plumbing parts there is someone else after said piece and you don't need one :wink: and you'll have a spare thermostat housing which is also unavailable.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=161803

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

T25_steveo

Post by T25_steveo »

Are you after said piece by any chance :lol: . So basically if I get the early one I can just remove the piece that cools the auto box and replace it with my piece correct? Thanks

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

T25_steveo wrote:Are you after said piece by any chance :lol:

Be gone Beelzebub ! NO I have a late 2.1 :rofl :wink: I have no need for such quaint antiquities. The guy in the link is after one and they are like rocking horse droppings.

T25_steveo wrote: So basically if I get the early one I can just remove the piece that cools the auto box and replace it with my piece correct? Thanks

Correct :wink:

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

djswain1
80-90 Mem No: 15611

Post by djswain1 »

If you use an auto engine you'll have to remove the torque converter, off it and replace it with the flywheel from your dead engine, you will need to check the crankshaft end float after doing this.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Bessie the bus- 1987 Holdswoth Vision 1.9DG auto with VW factory hitop

T25_steveo

Post by T25_steveo »

Sorry missed the link noticed another member needs one.

T25_steveo

Post by T25_steveo »

djswain1 wrote:If you use an auto engine you'll have to remove the torque converter, off it and replace it with the flywheel from your dead engine, you will need to check the crankshaft end float after doing this.

Thanks for the info. How do I check it and what am I checking for I've never messed with an auto. Cheers

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Ian Hulley wrote:Early van wiring is different than late van wiring ... DOPS (Buzzer of Doom), temperature gauge sender etc so you would need to strip the late stuff and fit a bare 1.9DG case into your early van

The only difference of note is the extra oil pressure sender behind the pulley in the later engine. Just leave it in the engine case, and don't worry that it has nothing to connect to it in your wiring loom. As Kev said, everything else from your existing cooling system will bolt straight on. I did the same - I now have a later 2.1 case connected up to my early cooling system. Thread here.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

djswain1 wrote:If you use an auto engine you'll have to remove the torque converter, off it and replace it with the flywheel from your dead engine, you will need to check the crankshaft end float after doing this.

The simple way is to fit the best engine fitted with a flywheel.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

T25_steveo

Post by T25_steveo »

CJH wrote:
Ian Hulley wrote:Early van wiring is different than late van wiring ... DOPS (Buzzer of Doom), temperature gauge sender etc so you would need to strip the late stuff and fit a bare 1.9DG case into your early van

The only difference of note is the extra oil pressure sender behind the pulley in the later engine. Just leave it in the engine case, and don't worry that it has nothing to connect to it in your wiring loom. As Kev said, everything else from your existing cooling system will bolt straight on. I did the same - I now have a later 2.1 case connected up to my early cooling system. Thread here.

Hi thanks for the help. So I just connect my early cooling system, use same wiring and leave the extra pressure sender disconnected but left in place and thats basically it? As if that's the case I'd rather do that than mess
With the flywheel etc with the auto. Thanks

T25_steveo

Post by T25_steveo »

Ian Hulley wrote:

The simple way is to fit the best engine fitted with a flywheel.

Sorry to be a pain mate but am I better off using the early auto am changing flywheel
And removing gearbox cooling elements or alternatively am I better of using the later manual engine and using my cooling system and leaving the extra oil pressure switch. Thanks