High Clutch Biting Point?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

High Clutch Biting Point?

Post by Dubworth »

I've noticed my van has a very high biting point, and it appears to be creeping higher. Once it's clamped on, there's no slip. Is this likely to be something needing adjusting (clutch bleeding)? Or should I ready myself for a new clutch? I have little history with this van so do not know how many miles this clutch has covered.

As a side note I've got the van booked in a few weeks time to a local mechanic who knows T25's well, I was going to have him bleed new brake fluid, change the coolant etc, so if it does need clutch work, I imagine then would be a good time?
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: High Clutch Biting Point?

Post by Ian Hulley »

If there's air in the system you can usually disengage the clutch but it then drags and it's hard to get back out of gear. If you don't need the van till it's been to the mechanics then fine, otherwise have a look at the slave cylinder ... does the nipple look like it will undo ? It's a 7mm ring spanner ... try warming the nipple or hit it with Freeze-It spray.

It does sound like it may be fooked but hey, it could just need bleeding. :ok

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Re: High Clutch Biting Point?

Post by Dubworth »

Ian Hulley wrote:If there's air in the system you can usually disengage the clutch but it then drags and it's hard to get back out of gear. If you don't need the van till it's been to the mechanics then fine, otherwise have a look at the slave cylinder ... does the nipple look like it will undo ? It's a 7mm ring spanner ... try warming the nipple or hit it with Freeze-It spray.

It does sound like it may be fooked but hey, it could just need bleeding. :ok

Ian

Thanks Ian, I'll ease off using it for now, not long til it goes in :)
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF