Fitting detent ball & spring on 5 spd rhd gear lever

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Born Too Late
80-90 Mem No: 14236

Fitting detent ball & spring on 5 spd rhd gear lever

Post by Born Too Late »

I've been struggling/getting more & more grease everywhere for approaching an hour now...is there an "easy" way to squash the ball bearing down out of the way so you can slide in the clinch bolt?
Ziggy Starbus-1988 Autosleeper high top 2.1 injection
Lola-1977 Triumph Spitfire

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Fitting detent ball & spring on 5 spd rhd gear lever

Post by CovKid »

Did you work through these pages? http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ge ... hanism_Pt1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Born Too Late

Post by Born Too Late »

CovKid wrote:Did you work through these pages? http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ge ... hanism_Pt1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spent many a lunch break reading through these before getting my hands dirty :lol:

This is the bit I'm having trouble with:

"Now moving to the end of the gear lever and the guide pin and spring. This was cleaned and re-assembled. The only tricky bit is depressing the spring and ball bearing whilst you push in the pin – not too difficult really though."

I know it was a few years ago but do you remember what you used to press the ball down with CovKid? I'll give it another go tonight with something forked like the things that you stick in corn on the cob

Many thanks

Wes

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Bear in mind the WIKI article is an assembled piece with more than one contributor. Hopefully someone who has done this can advise. I didn't need to change mine but others have. Once the procedure is nailed, I'll update accordingly. Might be worth asking Aiden as he must have done at least one.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Born Too Late wrote: I know it was a few years ago but do you remember what you used to press the ball down with CovKid? I'll give it another go tonight with something forked like the things that you stick in corn on the cob

No, wrong technique! It's nigh on impossible to lever it in from the side. Use a blunt/flat ended rod or a long thin bolt through the small hole in the end to push the ball against the spring (easiest with the lever upside down in a vice). Then offer the clinch pin in sideways against the bolt. Quick flick of the wrist and it's one out/ one in. Put the spring and circlip in (if you removed them), grease up, ends on and you're done!
Btw don't forget the rubber damper ring on the clinch pin!

Sent from my B1-830 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Born Too Late

Post by Born Too Late »

Ah, I'll try going in from the top instead :ok

Got my rubber ring on ready to go, the original one had disappeared completely along with the end cap and nearly all of the bellows on the opposite side.

BTW, do I need to grease the ball bearing and it's tiny spring along with everything else?

Cheers, Wes

jamesakers
80-90 Mem No: 14421

Post by jamesakers »

As above I did it by pushing the ball bearing into the spring through the hole and then slid the pin in. I think I used some stiff plastic tube which helped stop the ball popping sideways.

Good luck!
Sir Adventure - 1991 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9DG Petrol
https://vwt25.blog/

Born Too Late

Post by Born Too Late »

Thanks all, managed to get it all put back together last night. Been following your blog too James as well as the wiki, it was pretty easy fitting the bellows after clamping it in a vice.

I knew my old lever was bent (Mrs Born Too Late couldn't reach it in in first or reverse) but had no idea how much til I got the new one. It was almost S-shaped :shock:

Thanks again

Wes

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Thanks lads, updated the relevant section in WIKI with your contributions. Really helps! :D

Born Too Late

Post by Born Too Late »

Just to update, I cannot believe how much better the gear change is now with a new lever and gubbins :D Before, when it was in gear the lever moved laterally a good 7 or 8 inches either way and there's hardly movement any now. And in 2nd gear it's miles away from the dashboard instead of hitting it!

I had bought a quick shift kit to fit at a later date but it's not needed now. Anyway, really enjoying the "modern" feeling gear change, just the engine problem to sort now but that's another story.

Thanks again

Wes