Leaking Gearbox

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Enternent
80-90 Mem No: 0

Leaking Gearbox

Post by Enternent »

Coming back from the VW event at Elscrick at the weekend my gearbox sprung a leak which I guess is the input shaft seal. While over the last two years the engine has been out more times than I care to remember I was wondering what the easier way to change it A:engine out or B: box out? In the meantime I have bought Wynns and Barrs transmission leak seal to try this weekend but I don't hold up much hope. (CU Aircooled 2 ltr with a 4 speed box)

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Leaking Gearbox

Post by bigherb »

Enternent wrote:I was wondering what the easier way to change it A:engine out or B: box out? (CU Aircooled 2 ltr with a 4 speed box)
Engine out.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Enternent

Post by Enternent »

I added both the Wynn's and Barr's leak stop treatments to the gearbox then topped the gear oil up on Friday (yes both but I am desperate). I then drove 5 miles and checked for leaks, none apparent. I then drove 8 miles and stopped for 40 mins, small leak the size of a Viscount biscuit. This was still an improvement as before the treatments it was not quite pouring but what I would describe as a fast drip. I then drove 5 miles home, no leaks. Next day about 10 miles, no leaks. I will keep you posted on whether this status changes, pray for me. :ok

Enternent

Post by Enternent »

Sadly after parking up after returning from Dubs in the Dales this weekend the dreaded leak has reappeared. So the leak stop didn't work after all. Just ordered a new seal tonight however was wondering since the leak only returned after a long journey if there was a breather and it was blocked could this be a contributing factor?

Enternent

4 Speed Gearbox Do They Have A Breather?

Post by Enternent »

I have a 2 ltr air cooled with a four speed gearbox and was wondering does the box have a breather valve and if so where should I be looking? Cheers

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

most likely there's a worn oil thrower issue behind the seal, when you take the box out to do the seal remove the bellhousing and see if the metal sleeve is intact and it should have no wear from the input shaft and be a tight fit in the case, if it's loose then that's the problem; breather is just a hole in the case on the top of the front section, there's no valve; you do have a spigot bearing in the engine in good condition ? check that whilst it's out too, if the input shaft is flailing about it wears the oil thrower and causes exactly the problems you describe

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Re: 4 Speed Gearbox Do They Have A Breather?

Post by bigbadbob76 »

My 4 speed watercooled just has a hole, no valve.
I can't be sure your box is the same but would expect it would be.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: 4 Speed Gearbox Do They Have A Breather?

Post by itchyfeet »

bigbadbob76 wrote:My 4 speed watercooled just has a hole, no valve.
I can't be sure your box is the same but would expect it would be.

AIr cooled gearboxes are different to watercooled but I'd expect a breather somewhere
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Enternent

Post by Enternent »

Just to let you know Aidan Talbot's fix to fit his oversize thrower worked a treat and me plus a pal had it all done within four hours. Thanks Aidan once again.