Cylinder Head Gasket blown

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bert@glos
80-90 Mem No: 14606

Cylinder Head Gasket blown

Post by Bert@glos »

I have a 1989, 1.9l petrol, High-top Leisuredrive, T25 that I have managed to kill.
Whilst driving it today, either the temperature gauge wasn't working, or I was a complete moron and didn't notice the temperature rise (the likely reason). Consequence was that there was lots of smoke and engine stopped. The nice man from the AA who towed me home suggests that the cylinder head gasket has blown (evidenced by the water that drips out when the expansion tank is filled), the compression might be an issue (now that it is cold, the engine turns but will not start) and that there might be other issues from overheating the engine.
As someone who's automotive engineering experience is limited to calling the AA out to change a tyre I could really do with some advice.
Is this a new engine job or is a repair possible? I know that it's going to cost between "ouch" and "DING!!!!!", but any ideas about prices (ballpark).
I live in Gloucestershire between Stroud and Bristol, can anyone recommend someone in the area.

This is my first post and I wish there had been a better reason for it than my own stupidity. Still, if anyone can offer any advice it will gratefully received
Thanks
Bert

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket blown

Post by AngeloEvs »

Try facebook, VW T25 (T3) club and Club80-90, sometimes quiet on the forum and facebook is very popular.. Sorry to hear about your T25.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Not really cylinder head gaskets, waterboxers don't have them, as such.
Waterjacket seals, and headbolts are your worry.....
Less than £200 for water jacket seals
But labour costs may take it over a grand so replacement engine maybe safer.
Same labour charge tho
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

Its a bit of a drive...and a couple of months away,

but my 2.1 DJ running LPG and 1.9 ancilliaries will be coming out for a 2.0 AGG golf engine in December.

Will be up for sale :-)

Em
x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

ermie571 wrote:Its a bit of a drive...and a couple of months away,

but my 2.1 DJ running LPG and 1.9 ancilliaries will be coming out for a 2.0 AGG golf engine in December.

Em
x
Will you be testing oil pressure (at temperature) and doing a compression test? It'll make for a much easier sale. Not sure why I'm asking this..................

Just out if interest why are you doing the swap?
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

I would definitely start to accumulate tools, knowledge etc if owning one of these vans. I do all my own car maintenance after 10 years of accumulating knowledge and can say its one of the best things I have ever done. Save a fortune and its satisfying doing your own repairs. Plus you get an excuse to buy tools which are a grown man's toys :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Bert@glos

Post by Bert@glos »

mshaw1980 wrote:I would definitely start to accumulate tools, knowledge etc if owning one of these vans. I do all my own car maintenance after 10 years of accumulating knowledge and can say its one of the best things I have ever done. Save a fortune and its satisfying doing your own repairs. Plus you get an excuse to buy tools which are a grown man's toys :ok
Can't argue with that. Just a bit nervous about where to start. Presumably, attempting to change the head gasket armed with a Haynes Manual and a few spanners would be a bad idea!!!
I'll start with replacing a few hoses when it's repaired. It's a pity there are no classes to learn this sort of thing, but you are right. Time to man up :)

Bert@glos

Post by Bert@glos »

AngeloEvs wrote:Try facebook, VW T25 (T3) club and Club80-90, sometimes quiet on the forum and facebook is very popular.. Sorry to hear about your T25.
thanks for the sympathy :(

Bert@glos

Post by Bert@glos »

ermie571 wrote:Its a bit of a drive...and a couple of months away,

Em
x
Thanks for the offer, but I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and go for the repair....ouch!