Front brake backing plates - Early type

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Front brake backing plates - Early type

Post by CJH »

My front brakes (early, ATE) look like archaeological finds from an iron age settlement. They got through the MOT, but I really need to replace the lot - callipers, disks, bearings, backing plates, pads, flexis.

Looking at parts on Brickwerks' site I see that there's a stainless backing plate for the later brakes, which is evidently cut from flat sheet...

...but for the early brakes there's only this rather elaborate pressed steel item that has all sorts of creases and folds.

So being lazy here (to save taking the wheel off for a good look), can anyone tell me what it is about the early brakes that means a flat backing plate can't be used? Does it have to be shaped to fit round callipers and mounting bolts? I remember a thread on here a year or two ago where someone had made a CAD drawing of a backing plate - was that only for the later brakes (and are the Brickwerks stainless items made from that template)? I can handle Autocad, so would be up for drawing a flat steel version for the early brakes if that's feasible, so that they can easily be made from stainless as well.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Front brake backing plates - Early type

Post by multisi »

The brake discs are not the same. I have a pair of NOS german early discs for sale. Can post to you.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

CJH

Post by CJH »

Not the same, ok, but is there something about them that makes a flat backing plate impossible?

I'll PM you about the discs, thank you.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

My backing plates vanished many years ago. So not had any, had no issues and no MOT place has ever mentioned them.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

CJH

Post by CJH »

CovKid wrote:My backing plates vanished many years ago. So not had any, had no issues and no MOT place has ever mentioned them.

Yeah, mine resemble paper doilies more than backing plates, and my MOT place didn't seem to mind. But I figured now's the time to sort out the whole setup. What he did object to was one side having good stopping power, and the other other side having very good stopping power. Attempting to cure the imbalance showed that the calliper on the 'good' side is well past its best (split seal, retainer pin holes almost rusted through).

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

The early plates are mounted inside the hub they have to be dished around the disc.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

CJH

Post by CJH »

Thanks Bigherb, that explains it very clearly. Is the backing plate in your photo just untreated steel, or is that a galvanised finish?

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

CJH wrote:Is the backing plate in your photo just untreated steel, or is that a galvanised finish?

Some type of finish, probably pressed from galvanised/plated sheet.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

One of mine fell off, MOT tomorrow
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

CJH

Post by CJH »

itchyfeet wrote:One of mine fell off, MOT tomorrow

Did it pass?

Did my brakes today. Here are the iron age relics that just about scraped through the MOT after a bit of persuasion.

Those cross-head screws didn't want to let go without a fight - an impact driver shifted a couple of them, but it took the Irwin nut removers to shift the stubborn ones. Great bit of kit - got them out without damaging them so they could be cleaned up and re-used. The calliper bolts were proper tight. Needed all my strength on the end of my 750mm breaker bar. And of course the brake pipe connections were seized so I had to make new rigid pipes to link the flexis to the calliper. But we got there in the end.

New backing plates, with a coat of paint on top of whatever finish it was they came with:

And new discs, wheel bearings, callipers, pads and flexis. It's what a credit card was made for.

Took it out for a quick test drive, and they felt good - perfectly capable of locking the front wheels, so no need for anything bigger or better in terms of raw stopping power.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Lovely! I wish newly fitted parts stayed shiney for longer though. I fitted a new water pump to my early wbxer a few years ago (major ballache job on an early system) and it looked great! 4 months later and it blended into the cruddy boxer again :-\

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

CJH

Post by CJH »

Yep - first sign of rain and those shiny steel parts will take their cue from the rest of the van and go orange. And I know what you mean about the water pump. I've just finished putting my engine together - I grit blasted a few of the older aluminium parts to get a nice new finish, the heads and water pump are new, the hoses were all scrubbed and then shined up with tyre shine, the wires were all cleaned with white spirit, the pipes and a few of the metal bits were powder coated - but I know as soon as something starts leaking it won't last.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Yeesh that's clean :-)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

A very nice looking engine 8)
1983 DG Kamper 2

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Thats cos hes got nowt else to do :)
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.