Stub axle for '89 1.6 TD

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Watters
80-90 Mem No: 0

Stub axle for '89 1.6 TD

Post by Watters »

Hi There, day 1 of my holiday came to an end due to a collapsed front wheel bearing. Unfortunately the near side stub axle has been damaged and in need of replacement. My van has the single pot sliding callipers and power steering. It's also a LHD Westfalia if that makes a difference. The part number stamped on the axle casting is 251AG …. with a separate BE stamped on it. I have been in touch with a very helpful breaker who has a '87 / '88 T25 with the single pot callipers (I think they changed from twin pot around '85) and power steering. The thing is the right axle has the 251AG but the left one that I need has 25 GER with E something stamped on. I have a feeling this could be the correct part, (I'm in NI so can't make a trip to look at the part) however I'd like to check with the experts. Has anyone come across a similar stub axle issue. Thank you for your help

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Stub axle for '89 1.6 TD

Post by multisi »

The important thing for you is that you get a power steering axle. The difference between a power steering and non power steering is where the steering rack tie rod end locates . The non power steering axle arm is drilled closer to the end of the arm the tie rod bolts to. The measurements , hole centre to end of arm for non power steering is 20 mm and for the axle you need it is about 30 mm . If the breaker can confirm the measurement for the power steering axle then you are in luck, perhaps a close up photo from him would be a good idea.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Watters
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Watters »

Thank you very much for your informative reply. I will certainly confirm this
with the breaker before he posts tomorrow. He has so far confirmed that it
is a power steering Van that he is removing the axle from but your information
will make this bullet proof, thank you. I will keep post an update to let you know
the outcome. I had new callipers, discs and front bearings fitted to my camper as
a spot of preventative maintenance (not a thing wrong with the way it was… lesson
now learnt.. don't fix something that's not broken!) getting it back with a loose rattle
from the front left wheel. I checked it over with a neighbour/mechanic/friend and
we found that the stub nut took 3 turns to take up the slack, backing off the nut 1/4
of a turn. Reckon the damage that caused the bearing failure was done when the assembly
had been rolling slack. That said it could have been done by over tightening on our inspection.
Is there a rule of thumb for 'doing up' the front stub nuts to prevent damage? Incidently
the loose rattle was coming from the front calliper assembly which was loose!!
Thanks again for your help

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The Haynes manual gives a good description of how to get the correct adjustment for the front axle bearings including peening the nut to prevent it coming loose. If the breaker does have a power steering axle count yourself lucky as they are quite rare in the uk.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon