Brake servo pipe keeps blowing off

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

joshs90
80-90 Mem No: 9688

Brake servo pipe keeps blowing off

Post by joshs90 »

Hi, I have a 1982 T25. 2 litre air-cooled. Just got it road legal after six years in the garage. Starts easily, idles good and drives well. Or so I thought. Once the engine gets up to temperature and you are driving the van struggles for power and then the brake servo vacuum hose blows straight off the inlet manifold and the van dies. I have replaced the one way valve to see if that is the culprit but unfortunately not. Any suggestions what the problem could be and how to fix it?

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Brake servo pipe keeps blowing off

Post by bigherb »

It is backfiring back through the carburettor pressuring the manifold and blowing the weakest link off (the servo pipe). Usually caused by incorrect timing or the fuel mixture is too weak.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

joshs90
80-90 Mem No: 9688

Post by joshs90 »

Ok I will have a look, I have a suspicion there could be a small air leak on the inlet manifold on that side. This could be contributing?

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Cor bigherb I just noticed your Ariel Arrow! Back in the days of black and white 405 line TV and turn ups my mate used to have one of those fitted with a dustbin fairing. He worked at Raymond Way in Kilburn. As I remember it had an interesting pressed steel frame and leading link front forks. We all thought the dustbin was a bit heavy for the Arrow but it went like SFAS. Ah! Memrories...

CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX