Oil Leak

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JonathanR
80-90 Mem No: 0

Oil Leak

Post by JonathanR »

Water cooled 1.9WBX
Have just filled up with 3 pts of oil after only a few hundred miles so suspect my leak is getting worse. But enough about me.
I initially assumed it was the pulley end crank oil seal. Have cleaned the area and oil is dripping off the back (pulley end) of the engine. It starts as soon as I fire up the engine on tick over and a drip every few seconds. Looking at the pulley shaft it is dry. So I think it will be from the oil pump gaskets - is this a usual failure? Or are there any other causes.

In my reading I have picked up some threads on the oil pressure release valve, but now can't find them. If this is stuck/blocked would it cause oil to spew out from around the oil pump or is it more likely to be a simple gasket failure. I can not get a clear view of the pump area as it is hidden by other bits. I have tried to remove the cap to the pressure valve but I suspect it will require some persuasion.

The manual states the pump can only be worked on with the engine out which is not a job I particularly want to do this summer.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks
1991 Auto Sleeper Trident High Top
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: Oil Leak

Post by ajsimmo »

You can remove the moustache bar and engine carrier from the front (not back) of the engine with it in situ, just support the engine with trolley jack and blocks of wood (and axle stand for safety). Then you'll be able to see where the leak is. Top tip: If it's the oil pump plate gasket, don't fit a thicker one as you'll risk reduced oil pressure. Max endfloat of pump gear to plate is 0.1mm, so measure that first and work out gasket thickness needed.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran