Radiator has a rusty area

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Karen&co
80-90 Mem No: 14854

Radiator has a rusty area

Post by Karen&co »

Hello, hubby was looking behind the grill yesterday and noticed the radiator has a rusty area in the bottom drivers side corner. We're heading to Spain in October for a few weeks and he's thinking we need to change the radiator and all pipe work.

Is this a good idea as it sounds like it's going to be a bit pricey, although spending hours/days waiting for supplies to arrive whilst on holiday doesn't appeal!

The main question is are some radiators better than others?

Thank you :)
If you think you can or you think you can't either way you'll be right

1.9 petrol Leisure Drive

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: Radiator has a rusty area

Post by Mr Bean »

I may be wrong but:
I thought radiators were constructed from non-ferrous metals like brass or more recently, a combination of non-ferrous metals like aluminium and plastic components.
Sometimes rain water or coolant can splash from other areas which may have rust and dry rapidly onto a warm/hot radiator giving the appearance of rust on said radiator.
I would advise checking this out before changing a major part/system close to a long trip.
As for the origin of a new radiator There will be other members offering their own particular preferences. Since being told that my new TIG welder was
Bound to be good as it was German I was surprised to find when it failed that it was made in Poland. Maybe... :wink:
Good luck anyway.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Karen&co
80-90 Mem No: 14854

Re: Radiator has a rusty area

Post by Karen&co »

Citizen Smith wrote:I may be wrong but:
I thought radiators were constructed from non-ferrous metals like brass or more recently, a combination of non-ferrous metals like aluminium and plastic components.
Sometimes rain water or coolant can splash from other areas which may have rust and dry rapidly onto a warm/hot radiator giving the appearance of rust on said radiator.

Thank you :) Hubby thinks it's leaking near the rust? There seems to be a small leak in that area which is why we wondered about changing the whole kit and caboodle.
If you think you can or you think you can't either way you'll be right

1.9 petrol Leisure Drive