2.1i WBX THROTTLE STICKING WIDE OPEN

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

skysurfin09
80-90 Mem No: 2820

2.1i WBX THROTTLE STICKING WIDE OPEN

Post by skysurfin09 »

Hi all, I've just returned from a 1,000 mile faultless drive around Normandy, absolutely faultless that is until I parked in the lane waiting to get on the ferry back. On start up Doris went straight into full throttle mode, I was unable to do owt about it as we were boarding so I would start her up and then switch off and roll to a stop, start up and so on until we got aboard. The customs at Pompey were warned that I was having trouble and waved me through and straight on to the M271 and back to Winchester Services where I removed everything from the back and had a look at the problem. Despite much application of WD40 I could close the throttle by hand but as soon as I started her up and twitched the throttle she wouldn't reset to close down. I assume that this is due to a weak throttle return spring not able to close the throttle. Has anyone experienced this as I've looked in the Tech Archive but only seen responses to a carb engined motor. My concern is that it is something other than that, also I've checked Brickwerks and VW Heritage and they don't seem to carry them [return springs] that is. Can anyone help please?
'89 2.1 injected (Digijet)...travelling in hope over adversity

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: 2.1i WBX THROTTLE STICKING WIDE OPEN

Post by R0B »

My auto did this once.(brown trouser moment)You dont say what yours is.There is a ball joint on autos at the gearbox end of the throttle bar,this was gunked up on mine.Once cleaned and greased all was ok..
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

Similar experience with an autobox, the accelerator cable exits its guide tube at the front end of the autobox underneth the van. the cable should have been protected by a rubber boot, but this had perrished. The cable had deteriorated and wouldnt retract properly.
I fitted a stronger return spring, which "cured" the symptom untill the cable snapped.....

T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont

T3luestar
80-90 Mem No: 13845

Post by T3luestar »

I had this happen while driving on the M6 a few years ago, not the best drive home after that. Managed to get hold of a replacement spring from a breaker as I couldn't find a new one.
Think this is the one........

skysurfin09

Post by skysurfin09 »

Thanks for the advice lads, I'm going to try and source a new return spring but Rob I'll be looking to clean that linkage first task. I do not want to repeat that drive home ever again, but in true Doris style she did get me home, bless her...Rob :ok

P.S I've a 5speed box it never occurred to me to enter that info, I just entered the engine type, colour me silly....lol

T3luestar

Post by T3luestar »

As you say it could be just sticking, my spring actually snapped. Had to bodge it with a connector block until I got hold of another! If you find any new ones available, let us know.
:ok

skysurfin09

Post by skysurfin09 »

Hi guys, I've not been able to source a spring at all, but I have been investigating the linkage underneath the bus. Rob, my bus has a cable running front to back and no ball joint as on your autobox. I've managed to get some WD40 into the cable sleeve at the engine end but totally defeated at the pedal end, the cable runs under a subframe and to my untrained eyes there's no way to lubricate the cable at this point as there is a short stretch of cable appearing from above the subframe and onto the throttle linkage under the pedal. I need to sort this prior to the Fox and Goose w/e and then hopefully the N. Yorks Pikey w/e. Any ideas?....Rob

T3luestar

Post by T3luestar »

Is the cable is moving freely it may just need adjusting, is it tight? Or it could be due to weak return spring as already mentioned.

T3luestar

Post by T3luestar »

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/tension-sp ... -body.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

if it's a manual then there's a good chance the accelerator cable is sticking in the conduit in particular the rear most part which is in the black flex tube from in front of the gearbox to the stop plate in front of the throttle body, and it may be corroded and hence sticking sometimes the ptfe coating becomes bunched up like your grans tights, I'd take the whole lot out, flush the clear plastic tube out and dry it thoroughly and replace the cable as the rear bit runs in an integral steel plastic flex tube just like a bike brake and gear cables and they corrode, lubing generally doesn't fix the problem for long, and if the ptfe coating becomes damaged then it won't fix it for long at all, the spring will then be able to do it's job once the resistance has been removed
On syncros that are off roaded hard sometimes the cable run gets full of water and mud and they don't last through the next winter, ask me how I know :lol:

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Aidan wrote:if it's a manual then there's a good chance the accelerator cable is sticking in the conduit in particular the rear most part which is in the black flex tube from in front of the gearbox to the stop plate in front of the throttle body, and it may be corroded and hence sticking

Ours went in exactly that place. An accelerator cable is one essential spare we should all be carrying ... can certainly be a Game Over item unless you can fabricate something with electrical cable and crimps for example.

Cables ..

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/c ... s.html?p=2

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

skysurfin09

Post by skysurfin09 »

Ian Hulley wrote:
Aidan wrote:if it's a manual then there's a good chance the accelerator cable is sticking in the conduit in particular the rear most part which is in the black flex tube from in front of the gearbox to the stop plate in front of the throttle body, and it may be corroded and hence sticking

Ours went in exactly that place. An accelerator cable is one essential spare we should all be carrying ... can certainly be a Game Over item unless you can fabricate something with electrical cable and crimps for example.

Cables ..

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/c ... s.html?p=2

Ian

Excellent idea , I carry a spare pedal but never thought of the cable....L' plume de ma tante'

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Mange tout mon amis, mange tout :pimp
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure