Which Engine code should we be chasing?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

crm2000uk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Which Engine code should we be chasing?

Post by crm2000uk »

hightop ratty wrote:
crm2000uk wrote:
hightop ratty wrote:Just seen you are sunny South Wales as well.

I've had a 1.9 & 2.1 in my van (both running carb - the same one in fact !)

Didn't notice much extra power from the 2.1 (over the 1.9), but the 2.1 is mean't to be the better one as more torque (i'l be retarding the timing for unleaded this time to help save my con rods - a tip I picked up (too late - on this tread) as my 2.1 is being rebuilt after throwing a conrod :-)

You are welcome to come & have a try of mine when it's back from the garage (& there are a few other very helpful guys around S Wales, who i'm sure would be more than happy to have a look over theirs).

There's always Busfest (Malvern 8th - 10th Sept 2017) to have a gander & chat with owners.

Whatever you choose have a blast :-)

We are heading to Gower first week of September, perhaps Hannah and I could pop by for a quick look and possible a little ride in the cab with you? Only if this is actually possible, no worries either way. It would be great to get the excitement and awe out of the way before we see any and get too keen and buy a dud! Let me know if you can help that would be sweet!

Thanks again!

Absolutely no problem at all (glad to be of assistance) - you are more than welcome to come and have a look at our van, and i am more than happy to take you out in it for a quick spin (as long as we've got it back from its engine rebuild by then - crossed fingers).
We work from home, so are about most of the time.

Great stuff, I will pop back on here and send you a PM at some point see if we can arrange if it suits you and we can make it over!
Even if All we can do is open the doors, press the buttons, and generally educate ourselves with some hands on from an actual user!
Thanks again!

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

Post by hightop ratty »

Ian Hulley wrote:
hightop ratty wrote: Didn't notice much extra power from the 2.1 (over the 1.9),

The 2.1 was already very poorly then.

I would honestly suggest you don't try a 2.1DJ unless you have one at hand to put in your van ... you will be forever disappointed.

Ian
I didn't think the 2.1 was already poorly (it was a recon engine - not sure when it was re-conned, as it was fitted s/h without any history to my van by a mate who used to have a vee dub workshop), and it was in the camper about 8 years (only did about 3k miles per year). I've spoken to my engine rebuilder today & it appears the engine probably ran out of oil (it had been serviced a few weeks prior to the big bang - & the old skool garage put semi synth oil in & assured me it was what they put in all their own old skool motors these days) - a pushrod seal had always leaked a bit, and did leak a bit more with the semi synth - I can only assume it decided to make a break for freedom & leaked out completely (which is why someone had already phoned the fire brigade to say we were on fire, prior to me seeing the white smoke billowing out of the rear vents etc (oil burning on the exhaust), and pulling up on the hard shoulder with a nasty clanking - only 1/4 of an hour after leaving the house :-(
I may have forgotten how different the 1.9 was (but don't really remember it being much different to the 2.1)
I

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Post by sarahandthebear »

Watch out for deisel we went for a petrol as we don't know what the government plans to do with deisel we were worried they may raise the tax. Although far more economical then petrol you may end up paying more in the future. We have a 1.9 dg petrol
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker