Carburettor Issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Freddievan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Carburettor Issues

Post by Freddievan »

I'm having what seems to be a common issue with the fuel system. Van sounds like it's slightly missing, grumbles and judders a bit on low revs and is a bit flat on acceleration. Once warmed up it stalls on tick-over - a nightmare at busy roundabouts. My mate is a mechanic and he did a carb rebuild for me last year. He said afterwards that the base of carb was a bit warped and although he did the best he could to seal it he reckons this is where the air is leaking in. Having said that it was pretty smooth for quite a while after he did this. First idea was to take the carb to an engineering firm to see if they can do anything with it or secondly to try purchase another carburettor.

My van is 1991 petrol 1915cc. I'm guessing the carb is the Pierburg 2E3 (guessing coz I haven't got a clue) and there doesn't seem to be many out there to buy.

Suggestions, comments, advice... anything welcome?
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Carburettor Issues

Post by kevtherev »

I would buy some new gaskets (3)
Then have the carb restored.
Bromyard VW offer an impeccable service.
No one can fault it.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

Post by hightop ratty »

2nd Bromyard for carb rebuild - my van used to be a nightmare (cutting out / running rough - put up with it for years - Bromyard refurb - running like a dream :-) - was about £400 (spent more than that with garages over the years tinkering whilst on hols - making it worse !)

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

Thanks! I looked at the Bromyard site and it looks really impressive... but really expensive. I've managed to get another carb for £50 and a rebuild kit (and someone to rebuild it). Hoping this will work. If not then I'll have to send it to Bromyard and tighten the budget for a few months.
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

Post by hightop ratty »

Worth the expense - I hesitated for too long (I didn't have anyone to do a rebuild locally & didn't know it could be done for years) - they are also available new (someone will come along & say where from as I can't remember).

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Freddievan wrote:I've managed to get another carb for £50 and a rebuild kit (and someone to rebuild it).

Don't forget to point your rebuilder towards Jamesakers' very useful video on how to get all the adjustments right. I also made a PDF showing the checks and adjusments I'd managed to glean from various reference documents - you can download it from here. If you follow my guide and/or Jamesakers' video your carb should run nicely.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Freddievan

Post by Freddievan »

CJH wrote:
Freddievan wrote:I've managed to get another carb for £50 and a rebuild kit (and someone to rebuild it).

Don't forget to point your rebuilder towards Jamesakers' very useful video on how to get all the adjustments right. I also made a PDF showing the checks and adjusments I'd managed to glean from various reference documents - you can download it from here. If you follow my guide and/or Jamesakers' video your carb should run nicely.

Brilliant! I've just passed those on. Thanks!!
T25 1991 1915cc petrol

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

Freddievan wrote:
CJH wrote:

Brilliant! I've just passed those on. Thanks!!

I used these videos along with documents downloaded from James' blog for my rebuild, very useful :D
1983 DG Kamper 2

Birdman
80-90 Mem No: 15800

Post by Birdman »

I completely agree with what everyone says about Roger at Bromyard. My van was transformed from a juddery, un-drivable mess, to something that I'd happily drive anywhere.
I only wished I'd sent the carb off earlier, rather than trying quick fixes and trying to live with it being unreliable. My carb was intermittently faulty, so sometimes it would dive ok. It was always a nerve wracking prospect, embarking on a trip hoping it wouldn't play up. I don't think I properly started enjoying T25 ownership, until I had the carb refurbed! :)
1988 Autosleeper Hightop 1.9 Petrol

AvoidDeadEnds
80-90 Mem No: 15505

Post by AvoidDeadEnds »

Roger vw bromyard is amazing, after he fixed my carb he sorted the cooling system. Luckily he did that because after a perfect drive to Cornwall a couple of weeks ago I got caught up in the hideous M5 4 hour delay on the return. The temp gauge went up and stayed in place as it should even after hours of waiting. Saw lots of buses that day and spent a long time in the 3rd lane.....
Holdsworth Villa 3 conversion 1988 1.9 petrol