Smoky JX 1.6 Turbo diesel engine

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bison535
80-90 Mem No: 15671

Smoky JX 1.6 Turbo diesel engine

Post by Bison535 »

My T25 1.6 JX turbo diesel has been running well since we left Gibraltar in April, but, there is still a small amount of blue/hazy smoke during the first half hour of running after start up, especially when pulling up hill.

I have put Archoil in with the diesel which seemed to reduce almost stop the smoke problem. But on next fill up the hazy smoke returned, so I now add a 10ml of Fuel Set which does help solve the smoke problem.

Because I don't know the full history of the VW maybe the injectors need removal, cleaning and resetting ? Im not keen on doing this whilst on tour!? The cylinder head is aluminum I think !? And therefore the injectors maybe seized in place ? dont want to snap off an injector; major issues then!

Maybe valve guide sleeves are worn allowing some oil to pass ? Engine has only used about 1.5 ltr of oil since leaving Gib.

Any thoughts on this problem appreciated, but must keep this 1990 VW T25 Westfalia running till I return to the sun :ok

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Smoky JX 1.6 Turbo diesel engine

Post by clift_d »

There's a good ol' thread on brick-yard about the JX here:

The definitive smokey JX thread

It's not definitive but a good thorough starting point. You should also check the wiki
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Bison535
80-90 Mem No: 15671

Post by Bison535 »

The Smoky Engine: It transpired that my turbo bearing was beginning to fail, consequently engine oil was passing/leaking through and into the supercharged air system which then was burning within the cylinders causing the blue/black smoke. It necessitated fitting a new Turbo Charger and (having driven 7,000 km) I decided to upgrade to a 1.9 AX Engine at the same time whilst in the UK.
It was a well calculated investment to do whilst in the UK because availability and expertise for this upgrade does not exist where I live (Gibraltar). The driving exoerience since the 1.9 upgrade has been fantastic :ok :D
Please contact me if you need any further details of the upgrade and/or contact Keith or Amy at AW Engineering Darwen Ltd. They are a very specialized, professional, competent Company and a pleasure to do business with!

Regards and Happy campervaning :ok

1990 Vanagon 1.9 AX Turbo diesel

bootie3367
80-90 Mem No: 10560

Post by bootie3367 »

That's interesting as mine is now smoking (same engine)
Did you consider having your original turbo re-worked or was it too far gone for that?

Jon
'89 Westy Joker Hitop
1.6TD JX engine