Cylinder head bolt

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

saffron
80-90 Mem No: 0

Cylinder head bolt

Post by saffron »

Hi recently had a Cylinder Head Bolt snap on me and am about to attempt to get out what is remaining of it.
Has anyone any goodwill advice on pitfalls, or things I should definitely replace afterwards???
Not a mechanic but am trying, so nothing to technical please.
Have Haines manual.
Should I replace all Cylinder bolts and nuts once I get them out??
When putting bolts back in, is it imperative to tighten to correct torque as mentioned in book???
1.9 Watercooled petrol 1986.

meggles

Re: Cylinder head bolt

Post by meggles »

My only advice to you is to get someone else to do the job for you. If you don't know the importance of using the correct torque setting for tightening the head bolts down then I suggest you should gain more experience before attempting the job. It sounds as though you are part way through anyway but you may find lots more problems. Sometimes it is more cost effective to call in an expert. Please don't be offended by the above, just trying to save you some heartache... and expense!

saffron

Post by saffron »

Okay. Probably didn't word that very well!!!
Never mind, here's where i'm at!
All off down to cylinders!! top left bolt sheared off just at top thread, so plenty exposed to have a go at. Any idea's on how to loosen bolt to get out of Engine block.
I do have a torque to put bolts back on correctly!! Cheers Meggles.
Should i replace all other bolts if i can free them or leave them if they felt ok on way out??
If anyone knows an expert in Shropshire, that may help!!

meggles

Post by meggles »

Have you tried soaking the bolt and area in a good quality penetrating oil. If you can make up a sort of reservoir out of plasticine or similar you should be able to give it a good 'steeping'. When you do get it to move try a half turn out and quarter turn in removal. This should help prevent any thread damage. I have used a little heat on such a job before but it was a total last resort.

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

Plasticine well is a great suggestion.

Wd40 is ok but I always find plusgas seems better.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

saffron

Post by saffron »

Cheers both!! Will try.