Fuel lines

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Fuel lines

Post by Jeff J »

Went to check the flexible fuel hoses on my 1.9 WBX after reading some of the recent posts about leaks & fires, but I cannot understand & cannot find out why it has flow & return pipes rather than just a feed pipe as all other vehicles I have ever had. Is it a safety feature to feed excess petrol back to the tank rather than just venting it into the atmosphere? Thanks

Moonrakers
80-90 Mem No: 13705

Re: Fuel lines

Post by Moonrakers »

Lots of vehicles have return pipes, the system certainly isn't a unique one to the T25.

The return system is a simple way to deal with the inevitable issue of excess fuel delivery. The returnless systems use an in-tank regulator so the excess fuel the pump draws is never actually removed from the tank. This is probably a better system for controlling emissions as there would be less evaporation but on the down-side there's another mechanical component that can fail in the fuel system in addition to the pump itself, as well as a greater cost in manufacture.
Current VW: 1986 Devon Moonraker, pop-top, 1.9 DG, 5-Speed

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Different reasons depending on whether it is carb or injection.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

Thanks for the replies, you learn something every day. Perhaps it will stop me getting dementia :D