2.1 or 1.9 - which is most reliable ? (both running on carb

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: 2.1 or 1.9 - which is most reliable ? (both running on carb

Post by ghost123uk »

Aye, but the 1.9 can suffer from those ^^^ faults and it is very rare for them to throw a rod. It's more a 2.1 thing.

By the way, I bring this up because the thread is titled "2.1 or 1.9 - which is most reliable ?"
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

Aidan wrote:Silverbullet, Tencentlife and many other reputable engine builders fit or recommend an additional oil cooler for optimum oil and engine life; my experience with currently available mineral 15w/40 oils (ie since Quantum stopped supplying it) is that they are all rubbish and degrade very quickly and suffer from carbonisation even running on LPG, so I now use Platinum fully synthetic oil in my WBX, oil is cheap, this week from VW 5 litres of Platinum is only £12, engine rebuilds aren't cheap :lol:

Does this mean I should start putting this in instead of 15 40 Mineral Oil for my 1.9??
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

Post by hightop ratty »

That's what I thought crazyhorse :-(
After swearing i won't put semi synth in this engine (after another garage put semi synth in my 2.1 during its service (about 2 mths before the big bang).

Is there any good mineral oil out there now (another can of worms) - ie castrol / the classic 20/50 that many classic car users swear by ?

My new engine runs lovely & unbelievably quiet (inside the van - still sounds lovely outside) - the previous 2 made more noise (but no bangs, clunks or rattles prior to going bang) - I don't know how to check the oil pressure etc (so I can't comment on that - no doubt was a factor - but unaware (early van so no buzzer of doom, and red light didn't come on to my knowledge - the smoke & getting onto the hard shoulder / & getting my toddler & wife out safe took priority at the time) - I am thinking of fitting oil pressure & oil temp guages for peace of mind (or something else to worry about).

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

ghost123uk wrote:FAO those who know...

What is it that makes the 2.1 somewhat prone to throwing a rod with no warning?

I was told by someone who knows these engines VERY well that running at higher octane (i.e. having the timing set at 10 degrees BTDC) is a contributing factor. When he sold me his rebuilt engine it came set to 5 BTDC to run on 'normal' unleaded/LPG.

The truth is that people prefer to believe that if the Buzzer Of Doom goes off on their van it's a sensor fault .... the classic example of times when they go off often lead me to believe the system is working perfectly as designed .... running at 'high speed' (relative) on a motorway and then suddenly dropping speed onto a slip-road for e.g. thin, hot oil + sudden drop in revs and the BOD goes off ... never does it when bimbling round home type scenario. How many times have we seen people wanting to swap sensors when really all along it was a worn engine, usually the big ends, later of course when it sticks a leg out of bed it's tears before bedtime.

People running on 15/40w get the warning signs before those on 20/50w and swapping to the 'thicker' oil can help you bury your head in the sand and make the warning go away (for a while).

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

ghost123uk wrote:Aye, but the 1.9 can suffer from those ^^^ faults and it is very rare for them to throw a rod. It's more a 2.1 thing.

By the way, I bring this up because the thread is titled "2.1 or 1.9 - which is most reliable ?"

1.9 has a shorter stroke and alot less power and torque on the same rods and bolts
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Ian Hulley wrote:
The truth is that people prefer to believe that if the Buzzer Of Doom goes off on their van it's a sensor fault .... the classic example of times when they go off often lead me to believe the system is working perfectly as designed .... running at 'high speed' (relative) on a motorway and then suddenly dropping speed onto a slip-road for e.g. thin, hot oil + sudden drop in revs and the BOD goes off ... never does it when bimbling round home type scenario. How many times have we seen people wanting to swap sensors when really all along it was a worn engine, usually the big ends, later of course when it sticks a leg out of bed it's tears before bedtime.

People running on 15/40w get the warning signs before those on 20/50w and swapping to the 'thicker' oil can help you bury your head in the sand and make the warning go away (for a while).

Ian

yes exactly Ian

my old DG had a buzzer a few times I went to 2050 and it never sounded again

but what I did was to fit an oil temp and pressure gauge

I could see each year the pressure getting worse when I got down to 1 bar at 2000 rpm I pulled the engine for rebuild

It ran perfectly no noise and I pulled it after a faultless 800 mile trip, how many would have removed a working engine?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

Post by hightop ratty »

Thanks guys - this is why we (less able to do the nitty gritty stuff - but getting there the hard way :D ) come to the forum.

Your input is always taken on board, digested & really appreciated :ok (to add to our understanding & enjoyment of these great vans) - even though I can imagine :roll: :roll: :roll: this is what you feel like doing at times.

Had I done some of the (basic) checks that you guys know about (or asked my garage to do for me in reality) - I might still have been fully enjoying my 2.1 still :-(

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

hightop ratty wrote:Thanks guys - this is why we (less able to do the nitty gritty stuff - but getting there the hard way :D ) come to the forum.

Your input is always taken on board, digested & really appreciated :ok (to add to our understanding & enjoyment of these great vans) - even though I can imagine :roll: :roll: :roll: this is what you feel like doing at times.

Had I done some of the (basic) checks that you guys know about (or asked my garage to do for me in reality) - I might still have been fully enjoying my 2.1 still :-(

Life is full of mights. and most of us learn the hard way...

Enjoy the van and revell in a new engine. My 1.9 pulls along pretty well at 60 with pleanty to go round.

Expensive to get done I imagine but it has to be worth it
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 8728033184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Linky no worky? Hmm... don't know why, soz.
But it's to the Campershack Facebook post about the Laminova oil cooler I fitted to an early "DG to DJ" upgrade.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran