handbrake

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

angleseycaver
80-90 Mem No: 0

handbrake

Post by angleseycaver »

What I thought would be a quick job turned into an all dayer.
While my t25 passed its MOT OK, MY tester informed me that the hand brake would need a little tightening in the future, as I had just installed new rear brake linnings that would be bedding in shortly, when the brake lever seemed to be coming to far up I decided to take up a little slack at the equaliser, not so easy the nut was seized solid, after a good soaking in easing oil I tried again snapping off the hand brake rod right against the adjusting nut, I took the two inch piece with the nut attatched into my work shop and heated the seized nut and removed it, as I would have needed to move the adjuster nut along about an inch I cleaned up the end of the rod and ran an die along it, but to reinstall it I ended up unbolting the handbrake assembly and letting it move to the rear while I reconnected all the bits up underneath before rebolting the hand brake back in place, my handbrake to eaqualiser is a threaded rod while its replacement is a very expensive cable costing about £72, lucky to have got away with that one...

rockthebus
80-90 Mem No: 13518

Re: handbrake

Post by rockthebus »

Sometimes, luck is on our side!
1990 Atlantic 2.1 SS
1996 Lotus Esprit S4s

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Use a joining nut to put a new length of threaded rod onto the old is the easiest way! Just cut the rod shorter before that so that the join is closer to the front. The joining nuts are only £2 for 10. £1.50 for a length of stainless rod.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Oldiebut goodie wrote: Just cut the rod shorter before that so that the join is closer to the front. The joining nuts are only £2 for 10. £1.50 for a length of stainless rod.

Yep, like the man says ^^ I did our's 10 + years ago ... never did get round to fitting the front cable either.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

angleseycaver
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by angleseycaver »

Brilliant way around that one, worth being in this club just for that , thanks lads,,