Stuck in France with a gearbox problem.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Nick&Yvette
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Stuck in France with a gearbox problem.

Post by Nick&Yvette »

Hello again,

For whats it's worth i thought i'd put a final update on this post.

Yes we continued our journey through France, we stayed and worked in Morzine for a about 6 weeks working and mountain biking, then we headed south to the Verdon Gorge, which was incredible, then started heading west through Montpellier and Toulouse then to Bordeaux and St Emilion which are amazing.
From Bordeaux we headed south along the coast to Biarritz (where I proposed to my girlfriend in the back of the van while we were parked up next to the grand plage with the sun going down after a day of surfing, she said yes!)
Then we tried a couple more beaches on our way south to Bilbao via a day in San Sebastian and we caught the ferry back to Portsmouth 3 days ago.
So that was about 3 1/2 months driving around France in our camper and apart from the gearbox we had no other major issues.

Sadly the second hand gearbox we bought has a fault though, it won't stay in 4th gear and pops out while you're driving. This started happening intermittently about 2 weeks after we had it fitted and quickly got worse to the point where for the last 600 miles we were holding the gearstick in place as we were driving along.

Anyway we made it home, and i've just got in touch with Aidan to see what he says, as i don't fancy spending £750 plus on getting both boxes fully refurbished if i don't have to just yet.

Thanks again for all your helpful advice.

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Great to hear you made it in the end. :D
and congratulations on your engagement. :D
Good luck with the box.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Popping out of 4th might be a linkage problem limiting the amount of travel into 4th. It would be good to check the linkage thoroughly before assuming there is anything wrong with the gearbox.

Congratulations, by the way! Biarritz area is wonderful with the surf breaking on the sand bar.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.