1.7 KY Engine, Need Help Deciding

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

1.7 KY Engine, Need Help Deciding

Post by The Hairy Camper »

So just got back from the garage. Apparently Engine and Van are in good condition, but quite a few bits need sorting.

Main parts that need sorting are the cambelt and exhaust. Cambelt is WELL worn and exhaust has at least 1 big hole in it :lol: He also said the alternator didn't look original and that it was on an angle as the it's been fitted wrong (which apparently isn't good for the water pump, which also wants replacing :lol:)??

Now i was hoping it would just need a good service and i could enjoy it for the next year at least, without having to throw much money at it.

I've been seriously considering getting a 1.9 1Y engine dropped in, but this mechanic has said he can get more power and even turn my 1.7 into a turbo diesel (using the 1.6 JX Turbo) no problem if i want it?

Basically have a few options, but not sure which way to go. So i need to make my mind up before i start throwing more money at the van.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers.
1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

Moonrakers
80-90 Mem No: 13705

Re: 1.7 KY Engine, Need Help Deciding

Post by Moonrakers »

Tricky decision. First off, it's unlikely you could get a different motor 'dropped in' as simply as all that - it will also need servicing, cam belt, probably ancillaries as well as any new parts necessary for the modification and a fair few hours of labour, plus the inevitable issues that'll need attention over the following weeks / months until it's all ironed out.

The maintenance list you have from your mechanic is probably on the lucky side for a recent T25 purchase, nothing out-of-the ordinary there - I'd say you've got a good 'un. Seeing as there is no major expensive failure with your 1.7 that would make a new engine necessary or financially viable at this point, my own choice would be to take the easy, cheaper option to get your original lump reliable as you can and run it in original form for now. Don't under-estimate the gift of a dependable, no-nonsense, simple engine in good running order, be careful what you wish for, as they say!

If you just can't resist breaking out the credit card and getting a more powerful motor, then I suppose the best advice would be not to spend a penny more on the original engine and start the project to swap straight away. Sounds like you can keep driving the van as-is while you gather necessary parts and book the mechanic. As I said, I'd just get the old one running just as VW intended and enjoy it for what it is but i am quite boring when it comes to mods and conversions, my personal choice is always for original spec.
Current VW: 1986 Devon Moonraker, pop-top, 1.9 DG, 5-Speed

The Hairy Camper

Thanks for the reply Moonrakers.

It's been on my mind all day at work lol. I think i'm leaning towards keeping it and getting it serviced and tuned! As the mechanic said the engine looks and sound like a "good'un".

I've had a couple of 1.9 1Y engines/car offered to me though, so i am quite tempted. 1Y engines are meant to be a very straight forward swop too.

I will definitely need to sleep on it.

Cheers.

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

1Y is very long in the tooth now.

have a read about the Gti conversion

There is a very good Facebook group, and there are threads on here and brickwerks.

Coming from the diesel is the best starting point

ooodles of power too

(I've done mine, can you tell? :D :D :D

Just a thought. Something to chuck in the mix

regards

Emma
x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

The Hairy Camper

Thanks for the reply Emma.

I personally have never been fond of petrols! An older diesel engine with minimal ecu parts is what i'm after :D

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Nothing wrong with a 1Y! :D
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

Or a 1.9 AEF. Mine is from a 1999 Polo.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

The Hairy Camper

Just spoke to the mechanic and he's convinced me, the 1.7 diesel is staying in :)

He's said he can get lots more power out of the engine once all the belts (and hole filled exhaust) have been changed.

I told him aslong as I can pull out on round abouts quick enough to dodge the BMW's doing 100 on them, I'll be happy :lol:

He once again said I should pop a turbo on it in the future. Anyone know how insurance's will react to this? Will the cost go up dramatically??

Cheers.