Starter problem - motor spinning but not engaging

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

evilgoat

Starter problem - motor spinning but not engaging

Post by evilgoat »

I have a starting problem, the starter motor is spinning (very fast from the sound of it), but not turning the engine over. It sounds as if the drive pinion is not engaging. Is this a new starter or can i replace the pinion or ratchet? is there anything else i should look at? I'll replace the bush as well when i remove the starter motor, could a worn bush prevent the starter pinion engaging? Only happened this morning, but i noticed it was a bit noisy on starting when i used it last week.

I had a new starter motor fitted by the AA whilst on holiday 2 years ago, as the old one was failing to start so a bit frustrated.

thanks!

E D I T - It's a 1.9 DG engine.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Starter problem - motor spinning but not engaging

Post by bigherb »

Most likely the one way clutch in the pinion or you have lost a couple of teeth from the flywheel. turn the engine a few degrees by hand if the starter motor then engages then it is likely lost teeth. Otherwise replace the starter.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

Thanks. Lost teeth on flywheel doesn't sound good. :(

can you get a replacement clutch on the starter or do i need a completely new starter motor?

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

What make starter did the AA fit?
If its a Bosch then its repairable.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

I've taken it off and the clutch mechanism is bust in the starter motor, sadly it's not a bosch one so have ordered a new one from VW heritage.

There appears to be two half washers that retain the pinion on the return spring / clutch assembly. But i could only find one. So i'm guessing THE other is in the bell housing. Do you think that this is going to be a massive problem? i guess it will find it's way to the bottom and stay there, just concerned that it won't damage the flywheel or possibly the clutch?

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Nah
Take it out when you change the clutch in 10 years time
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

pleasestartnow
80-90 Mem No: 11015

Post by pleasestartnow »

I have been having this problem for about a year now and its starting to wreck my head. Afraid to look in case it is teeth missing from the flywheel.

Bigherb you say turn the engine by hand? How do i go about doing that?

Just my own thoughts for my own van (1.6 D ...i think), is if the drive pinion comes out and doesn't engage the flywheel due to lost teeth on the flywheel, then surely the flywheel won't rotate so how after a number of attempts will it then just work as it should? Would that imply the issue is with the starter side?

Sorry for hijacking your thread lol. Just as soon as i saw someone else mention this issue after being stuck in a carpark for half an hour earlier today decided now is the time!!
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

pleasestartnow wrote:
Bigherb you say turn the engine by hand? How do i go about doing that?

The easiest way on a Diesel is to put in 4th/5th gear and push van forward a few inches. (ignition switched off)

pleasestartnow wrote: Just my own thoughts for my own van (1.6 D ...i think), is if the drive pinion comes out and doesn't engage the flywheel due to lost teeth on the flywheel, then surely the flywheel won't rotate so how after a number of attempts will it then just work as it should? Would that imply the issue is with the starter side?

Not sure you have the same problem, is the starter motor turning but not turning the engine or just clicking?
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

Cheers Rob, lol.

Bigherb, yes i turn the key, i hear the solenoid click, then you hear the pinion spin,(whirring noise), but nothing, its like its just spinning in air. Could repeat like this a few times and then the van will just start as normal. Not something that happens everyday but frequent enough that now i need to do something about it before i get properly stuck somewhere.

Doesn't seem to be a pattern to it either, as in it could happen first thing in the morning or it could start fine all day and then i pop in to a shop for 5 minutes/ or in home for an hour or two and then it refuses to catch for a few attempts and will then just work.

Thanks for the idea of pushing the van a bit, will try that next time it happens.
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

Stuck now in train station for last 20 minutes. Can hear the pinion spinning but not engaging anything. Think I might just blow the van up instead
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

In the past I have experienced this due to a slightly flat battery. I have also experienced the same symptom due to a sticky curly whirly preventing the do da from shooting up the whatsit and engaging with the flywheel. (Non tech speak warning :oops: ) Can be temporarily fixed by squirting with WD40 or even tapping starter body with metal object. (Non factory recommended process warning :roll: )
I have had many old bangers in my time and never lost a tooth on the flywheel.

CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

pleasestartnow

Post by pleasestartnow »

Cheers citizin Smith. Ya measured the battery and it was slightly down. Called aa and as the guy was pulling into the car park she started up haha.

I feel in my bones it is an issue with the starter and not the flywheel. Put it in gear and moved it about like suggested in an earlier post and it made no difference. But I think know I know what you mean about the do hickey not engaging the flywheel.

Going to take off the starter motor and have a gawk at it tomorrow. Heaven forbid what I put myself in
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D