How HOT does your PAS pump/rack get?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

akw
80-90 Mem No: 15829

How HOT does your PAS pump/rack get?

Post by akw »

Hi,

I just replaced pretty much the entire power steering system (pump, rack, lines etc) but it's running pretty hot, especially at motorway speeds. I can barely touch the pump or rack. It's a bit cooler when driving on b roads and keeping the revs down.

If someone with PAS could please let me know how hot does their pump/rack get (preferably after a longish drive) I would be really grateful. I don't remember how hot it run before doing all this work.

I'm currently on my first leg of a trip from south coast up to Scotland. A bit worried about ruining the new rack.

There are some more details on a brick-yard post I wrote earlier:

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/power ... 92787.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re-posting here to get more exposure. Any ideas?

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: How HOT does your PAS pump/rack get?

Post by what2do »

Have you checked that none of the hoses are slightly kinked? You should be able to hold your hand on a pump if not then there is resistance somewhere in the system which is causing the pump to work overly hard which in turn is generating heat. You may also have some metal which is obstructing a port unless you've changed the system 100% for new.

Let us know how you get on.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

what2do

Post by what2do »

When driving, does it pull to one side at all?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

akw

Post by akw »

Many thanks for replying.

I had a look at the lines but can't see any kinks. Both back to front lines are new. The only parts I didn't replace are:

* line from reservoir to pump. I had it re-made 2 years ago so should be fine, I also cleaned it with brake cleaner and blew through with compressed air before re-fitting.
* pulley. My old one is a bit wonky, could this be killing my pump?

I just had a look in the reservoir and I can see some very fine shiny bits of metal floating in the fluid... Something is grinding itself to death, probably the pump.

I have no idea what happened here. I assembled everything very carefully (it being steering and all!) used the correct dexron fluid and bleed the system correctly.

akw

Post by akw »

It didn't pull at all. Everything worked really nicely other than the excess heat.

I took the belt off the pump now and will try to continue without it.

akw

Post by akw »

Ok, I think I might have found what I've done wrong:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shim-t3-di ... ulley.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It says the shim goes between the pulley and the pump. I put it between the two sides of the pulley along with another shim that was there.

I don't have the Bentley with me but if someone could post up a picture of the pump diagram page to confirm that would be really awesome. I can get yet another pump and pulley from brickwerks when I pass by there tomorrow. Hopefully that will be it.

akw

Post by akw »

Found the Bentley diagram but it looks like petrol bracketry so it doesn't have the shim on there.

what2do

Post by what2do »

Not good finding metallic pieces - I hope you find the source of them.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.