1.9DG Petrol Water Boxer - Mystery Engine Part

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

QuickBrownFox
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.9DG Petrol Water Boxer - Mystery Engine Part

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Mystery Part
Mystery Part
170623_174730_COLLAGE-1.jpg (127.06 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
Hello,

First post, please be forgiving... I tried to be specific in my subject, but specifics are one thing I'm short on.

Bought a 1986 T25 Holdsworth Vision 69k miles, reasonable condition. It has the wrong distributor on it and is running poorly but plans are in place for that.

Advice is sort to identify a mystery part I've just stuck my clumsy finger through. After checking over the engine as you do, I noticed a worn rubber part that i can only describe as like bellows. After inspecting the warn area more closely, my finger went straight through it creating a hole where once there was none.

I've been through my Haines manual and cannot identify the part. I've looked at pictures and watched videos of my engine type on the websphere and they don't have said part.

I plucked up the courage and spoke to a mechanic today and showed pictures of the part and he couldn't identify it either.

With my limited knowledge I can only describe it as currently located in front of the coil, but not connected to it. It has 2 wires. It has a pipe that seems to join a coolant pipe.

All help gratefully received. I'm pretty sure its not original i.e. the engine didn't come with this part. It's hard to order a replacement when one doesnt know what it is that needs replacing.

Now that my account is active I plan to put up a few pics of the van. So far I've cleaned and replaced the fresh water system and fixed the foot switch for the water pump. Get me! :shock:

Kind regards

Andrew
That would be an ecumenical matter

1986 Holdsworth Vision High Top. 1.9DG.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: 1.9DG Petrol Water Boxer - Mystery Engine Part

Post by R0B »

Is it an early flux capacitor? :-)
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

QuickBrownFox

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Ive not quite got to 88mph to prove otherwise :ok

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

it's vacuum operated as that's the vacuum hose that goes to the brake servo it's been teed into, before the one way valve
are there electrical connections to/from it ?- if so trace those wires to see what it is operating, probably to do with something that only wants to run when the engine is running, maybe a vacuum operated mechanical relay for split charge or a warning light for a deaf driver or some other aid for a driver with disability ? Is th eclutch set up standard, ie pedal and slave cylinder unencumbered by additional devices ?
whatever it is I'd say get rid, it won't be doing anything that can't be done better by other means and the damage to the bellows may mean loss of vacuum to the brakes which could be dangerous, replace the T in the braided vacuum hose from the manifold to the one way valve with a solid straight connector

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

Is it a brake booster, popular with big American classics

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

QuickBrownFox

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Many thanks for the replies. Ill follow the wiring piping and see where it gets. A break boost doesnt sound good with a ruddy great hole in it :? i cant see a make or manufacturer/model number on the part which will make it hard to replace the bellows for it. Not sure how to take this forward but ill work something out. I cant say the brakes were anything wonderful before i broke the part.

Thanks again

Andrew

freckvan1
80-90 Mem No: 8492

Post by freckvan1 »

Whereabouts in the North West are you ?

There's a number of places up here you can take your van to for assessment. Also try VW T25 in the NW, on Facebook, maybe fellow owner near you.

Atb,
Chris
1984 1,9DG. W/C

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

My money is on it being a mechanical cruise control servo, with an integral solenoid to lock it. Is there any sign of having had a cable on the front end?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

almost every part will have a makers mark or and part number, go looking for it and post a picture.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

QuickBrownFox

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Well, due to other commitments i haven't had time to get under the bus and have a look.
I also hadn't seen some of the replies so thanks for helping.

After going through some paper work i got with the car it seems that the answer may have been there all along..

@FreckVan1 - I'm just outside Warrington.
@Silverbullet - I think you win the prize! I seem to have a big long thin switch on the dashboard with wiring running from it. I'll follow them through and see where they lead.

@ItchyFeet - Yes, i will take it off tomorrow and have a better look for make and model number.

Well, if it is part of Econocruise system then I'm not confident on finding a replacement part. My guess is its disconnected currently anyway.

Thanks again folks

Andrew
Attachments
Econocruise - tomorrows future, today!
Econocruise - tomorrows future, today!
170625_222853_COLLAGE-1.jpg (137.27 KiB) Viewed 1989 times