Warning Elring WBX gaskets sets

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Warning Elring WBX gaskets sets

Post by itchyfeet »

its been reported on a FB page that a small batch of water jacket seals has split and the seal quality is under suspicion.
somebody will post up pics soon but if you have a set please check them and don't use if in doubt.
Last edited by itchyfeet on 27 Jun 2017, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Warning Elring WBX gaskets sets

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I thought that Elring were one of the better ones. Must admit that I have always used them and had no problems in the past. Maybe there are some counterfeit ones getting in the supply.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

It seems they have confirmed theg are genuine
looks like a batch problem which probably means they changed factory/ country if you know what I mean
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I wouldn't like to be having new ones fail on your engines, its bad enough on a diseasel.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Yes it looks like a QA problem, the latest offerings are distinctly rough textured, crude de-flashing and can show signs of porosity or bubbles in the rubber. Nothing like the original ones that are smooth and pliable with no flash at all.
BW are aware of the problem and are forwarding info to Elring; Reinz gasket kits are under scrutiny (it is possible that they have had the same supplier for the water jacket seal but this remains to be seen)
Certainly the Elring ones look to have been re-tooled and bear witness to this.
Pic to follow

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Seals from recent Elring kit on left, older on right. Not that the older kit has one made by Bruss, the other is unmarked.
Seal on far right is typical best quality.
The Bruss one is a bit rough and spongey too.Image

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Thanks for the pics Ian :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

itchyfeet wrote:It seems they have confirmed theg are genuine
looks like a batch problem which probably means they changed factory/ country if you know what I mean

It's quite amazing. I have a friend who works in this kind of sector. He says a lot of the companies, which relocate production lines. There is rarely anyone from the company which relocated, ever turn up for months to oversee things!
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

nesty wrote:
itchyfeet wrote:It seems they have confirmed theg are genuine

It's quite amazing. I have a friend who works in this kind of sector. He says a lot of the companies, which relocate production lines. There is rarely anyone from the company which relocated, ever turn up for months to oversee things!

I'm told they call us long/big noses and they promise the moon on a stick but as soon as you leave they do.what they want.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

I wonder what the demand for WBX gasket sets is? Probably a declining income for the original supplier to Elring that becomes unprofitable, so supply ends. Next stage find an economical source; European manufacturers aren't interested because of the lack of volume plus the unit cost is too high for Elring if they were interested.

So, Elring go to the Far ..... and ain't really bothered about any quality control because look at what their selling.

Oldie, I doubt they're counterfeit, why bother tooling up and making a few seals for a few pence?
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

silverbullet wrote:Seals from recent Elring kit on left, older on right. Not that the older kit has one made by Bruss, the other is unmarked.
Seal on far right is typical best quality.
The Bruss one is a bit rough and spongey too.Image

Interesting. I've got two gasket sets here, as I bought a Reinz one first for my DJ build, and then was pointed to a good deal on an Elring kit and I figured I'd need a second one for when I reseal my DG.

Both kits are a couple of years old (because I've been hopelessly slow building my DJ). In my photo, the Reinz seal is on the right, and seems to have a thin clean join and a shinier surface. The Elring seal is on the left, and the flashing seems more pronounced, and the rubber is slightly less shiny. I can't really tell any difference in the 'feel' of the rubber though.

My Elring seal doesn't look as rough as the leftmost pair in Ian's photo. I'd guess that the Elring batch problem occurred after Spring 2015.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

this isn't the first time this has happened, about 12 years ago there were some in circulation with a flaw in on the corner and they were in both brands of kits and the separate gasket sold by both companies and several after market boxers I had three failures in short succession solved by using a genuine one, rubber ain't what it used to be, ball joint boots, cv boots they are all pi$$ poor now compared to the 80s when Avon made the wbx hoses and Lemforder was a quality brand not some shonkey make it cheap and sell it again and again and again brand

sherlylock
80-90 Mem No: 14562

Post by sherlylock »

That's quite a messy splitline on the left hand gaskets. Says a lot for the quality of the tooling......and makes you question the quality of the materials used.

We design plastic mouldings at work and have dealt with some exceptional quality toolmakers in China.......and unfortunately some exceptionally bad ones too (we don't always get to chose who we work with!). Tools cut and shut when errors have been made, welded up bits re-cut, bits of tooling looking like they've been fettled by hand. All of which gets reflected in the moulded part.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

sherlylock wrote:That's quite a messy splitline on the left hand gaskets. Says a lot for the quality of the tooling......and makes you question the quality of the materials used.

We design plastic mouldings at work and have dealt with some exceptional quality toolmakers in China.......and unfortunately some exceptionally bad ones too (we don't always get to chose who we work with!). Tools cut and shut when errors have been made, welded up bits re-cut, bits of tooling looking like they've been fettled by hand. All of which gets reflected in the moulded part.

Checked yours yet!?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

sherlylock
80-90 Mem No: 14562

Post by sherlylock »

itchyfeet wrote:
sherlylock wrote:That's quite a messy splitline on the left hand gaskets. Says a lot for the quality of the tooling......and makes you question the quality of the materials used.

Checked yours yet!?

Yup - it's a Victor Reinz kit. :)

Looks good though - nice neat split line, no flashing.

As to whether it seals up OK and doesn't split - who knows. (I bought it about 18months ago......such is the blistering pace of my engine rebuild).