Fuel Filter advice.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ROBSEA
80-90 Mem No: 15161

Fuel Filter advice.

Post by ROBSEA »

After spluttering my way home , I noticed my fuel filter black and severely clogged. Have replaced with the exact same HENGST filter that came with the van !!!!! Think they were trying to tell me something ? With many members on here I am wondering which is the best filter/ manufacturer i.e HENGST , B and B , BOSCH , MANN , MEYLE etc to use and where to purchase them at a good price as I fear this maybe a regular purchase for me ,even a BULK buy !!!

Bubble Meister
80-90 Mem No: 4246

Re: Fuel Filter advice.

Post by Bubble Meister »

You haven't said what engibe you have. I had a clogged tank outlet filter when I first got the van. I replaced the tank outlet filter every year and the engine bay filter every two. That seems to have filtered out the tank crap nicely. I used any disposable in line filter - most were 99p so a cheap method of catching rubbish. Never had any issues since.
Introducing Bubble, the B reg '85, 1.9 DF WBX (currently with a DG fitted!)

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Get rid of that fire hazard its not needed.Folk wrongly fit these not knowing about the one just after the tank.Plus your making your fuel pump work harder.

engine bay filter every two
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

ROBSEA wrote:After spluttering my way home , I noticed my fuel filter black and severely clogged. Have replaced with the exact same HENGST filter that came with the van !!!!! Think they were trying to tell me something ? With many members on here I am wondering which is the best filter/ manufacturer i.e HENGST , B and B , BOSCH , MANN , MEYLE etc to use and where to purchase them at a good price as I fear this maybe a regular purchase for me ,even a BULK buy !!!

Buy it from brickwerks and let them do the legwork finding the quality parts.

if you need to change it often your tank is full of dirt or rusty.

the fuel filler neck on every van will now be shot unless its been changed unlike other parts filler necks don't last 30 years and then you get dirt in the tank thrown up by the wheel.

How many times NO FILTER IN ENGINE BAY
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks