JX to AAZ conversion Pre-empting crank bolt/nose problems

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wolfbus.uk
80-90 Mem No: 0

JX to AAZ conversion Pre-empting crank bolt/nose problems

Post by wolfbus.uk »

After many months of searching i've fortunately found a 58.000 mile FSH running AAZ bought from an old boy in the next village.

I've been driving it for the last week and it's such a nice car to drive (Golf MKIII) The engine runs & looks almost factory fresh and there appears to be no wobbling at all in the pulley set up. It's a 1994 M reg with serpentine belts and non clutched alternator pulley.
This engine will replace the original JX in my Syncro.

Now the question is what is the best way to pre-empt the dreaded crank bolt problems?

I have read in a few places that if there is no movement in crank pulley, simply fitting an AAZ clutched alternator pulley will be enough to avoid loosening the bolt.

But if the above is true is it still also best to install a brand new crankshaft pulley and pulley bolt & torque to 90nM and 90 deg?

Also I've heard that running a V- belt set up will pre-empt the crankshaft nose/bolt problems.
I have a low mileage well looked after JX to take the pulley set up from.
But in this case would I install the crank pulley from the JX with a new bolt? Can someone explain this to me because I'm quite confused as to what parts are swapped out from the JX? As how can a v- belt be run unless the crank pulley is changed to a v-belt type?

I'd be very grateful from people that have run either set up successfully for a period of time and recommend which way is best, if there is a best way!

Also I'd be grateful to hear of any additional tips that could be used.
I've spent a lot of time and money on my syncro and really want this conversion to be as good as possible!

As for the Golf, it's so nice it would be sacrilege to break it so I think I may try to fit the JX engine in it and have it as a little runaround!

:ok