1.6 TD JX fuel issue!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

garrybaldy007
80-90 Mem No: 15616

1.6 TD JX fuel issue!

Post by garrybaldy007 »

Hi,

I've been on this site for a while now and got some good tips which I really appreciate, however I now have a fault that I'm struggling with. I have tried the search and found various things about fuel faults but can't find the answer.

I filled the tank and ready to set off on my 167 mile journey, which I never doubted my Syncro would make, but 80 miles of trouble free driving, I pulled up to the service not get something to eat and when I returned I couldn't get it to start. After looking about a bit I had to call a local garage to come out and look. They said there was no fuel getting to the fuel filter (it has fuel in the tank). I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a fuel filter on the pick up pipe? I know there is issues with dirt in some tanks blocking the pick and if so, how is that remedied? I ended up having to get recovered where I was going and will have to start looking at it after the weekend. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Garry

pierce
80-90 Mem No: 9002

Re: 1.6 TD JX fuel issue!

Post by pierce »

I haven't seen a fuel filter on mine other than in the engine bay.

It seems strange that you had bother after returning to your van,might be worth doing a couple of tests yourself if you can.

If you crack open one of the injector pipes, that go from the fuel pump to the injectors and turn over your engine, does any fuel come out?

When you turn your ignition on does the solenoid on the fuel pump get 12v, it probably makes a clicking sound too?

Do you have a clear line going to your injector pump, if so does it have fuel in it?

If the fuel line was blocked going to the tank I would probably try disconnecting it at the fuel filter and blowing down it.
88 Westie 1.6TD

garrybaldy007

Post by garrybaldy007 »

Hi Pierce,

Yeah I'm pretty baffled by it in honesty. There's nothing at the injectors but I don't have clear lines but there's nothing getting to the fuel filter. I can't see an inline primer pump anywhere but I don't know what draws the fuel from the tank, is it just the FIP or is there something else that's pulling the fuel through. It's bizarre that it was running fine and never been a minutes bother running wise. Always started first time and ran fine. I'll have to disconnect some lines and try sucking fuel through and see what's happening. If it's just the FIP drawing fuel through then there's a non return valve between the pump and filter which maybe at fault. It's a metal one which I've never seen before, so if that's blocked or faulty it may not allow any fuel to get drawn through. It's been a long time since I've filled the van up to the brim too.

Thanks for your response.

Garry

pierce

Post by pierce »

Yeah it's just the fuel pump, in the past I have changed part of the fuel pump and the fuel filter and it's primed itself by just turning the van over, so it must be pretty robust

The solenoid not getting voltage would explain your issue, you could take a direct feed from the battery to test it, if you don't have a multimeter.

You could put a bit if diesel in a bottle and disconnect the fuel line at various points, so it takes from the bottle instead of the tank.
88 Westie 1.6TD

garrybaldy007

Post by garrybaldy007 »

I have disconnected the fuel cut off solonoid and I can here the solonoid working. I will try it straight from a jerry can of diesel and see if that works like you suggested. Hopefully I can get it sorted soon lol.

pierce

Post by pierce »

good luck :ok
88 Westie 1.6TD