Start/tickover problem

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Hedges
80-90 Mem No: 15516

Re: Start/tickover problem

Post by Hedges »

Nathanb wrote:I've had a similar issue to you and have tried a number of different things to resolve it. My problem is very intermittent, sometimes I can go for a few weeks without it happening but when it does the sympton is that the engine will cut out when dropping to idle. Never happens when starting from cold, only ever happens when the engine is warm and it's come off of it's auto choke.

First of all I sent my Pierberg carb off to Bromyard for a full refurbishment [they did a great job] seemed to initially fix the idle issue, but then problem returned after a few weeks.

I then changed all of the fuel lines from tank to engine bay and back again, along with a new fuel filter. Again problem went a way but then returned.

Then changed distributor cap, rotor arm, spark plugs and new leads. Problem still remained.

The last fix was to replace all of the vacum hoses and 'touch wood' I haven't had the issue since.

Due to the fact that there are a number of things that could cause this issue, it's difficult to give you an answer that will instantly resolve it.

Is that the vacuum hoses off the carb?
T25 1.9 Petrol 5 speed
Devon Moonraker 1987

Nathanb
80-90 Mem No: 13831

Post by Nathanb »

Hedges wrote:Is that the vacuum hoses off the carb?

Yes that's right Hedges.

I replaced the two hoses that come out of the front of the carb, one goes to the distributor and the other to the air box.
VW T25 Autosleeper Trident 1991 - 1.9 DG Petrol 5 Speed

Hedges
80-90 Mem No: 15516

Post by Hedges »

Hopefully sorted now, checked the inline fuel filter which was full of crap and also the airfilter which was old so must have been circulated the crap from there as it was a new tank and fuel filter. Anyway replaced both filters and she's running ok, a couple of short trips without a hitch.
Only thing now is the header tank has sprung a leak grrrrrrrr :?
T25 1.9 Petrol 5 speed
Devon Moonraker 1987