No brakes...........

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

No brakes...........

Post by shepster »

On the way to Deva Friday night I suffered a sudden loss of brake pedal feel, pumping them got me enough pedal to stop so got there ok.

Had a quick look over the weekend and no obvious signs of a leak and no loss of fluid from the reservoir?

Started up Sunday and all seems well, only about an hours drive from home and was ok all the way.

My question is this, does it sound feasible for the fluid to pass the master cylinder seals and give me a spongy pedal without any sign of a leak, and then appear ok again?

I've ordered a new Master cylinder just in case but curious to hear any other thoughts.

Cheers in advance.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Re: No brakes...........

Post by bigbadbob76 »

If the brakes are dragging on the disks/drums the fluid can boil and you lose your brakes until it cools down again.
I've also had a brake pad material fall off it's backing plate giving the same symptoms as you had but with a horrible grinding noise as the plate is then working directly on the disk.
Hope that helps.
Good luck.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Had a front caliper sieze recenly was getting very hot.

Was it spongy pedal or just no braking power?
The latter could be loss of servo.vacuum
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

Could you have left your handbrake on?
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

shepster

Post by shepster »

All good suggestions, need to have a closer look at the weekend.

Pedal went soft with no brakes but when pumped they worked, like when air gets in, but can't understand why they seem ok now?

Handbrake wasn't on and as far as I can tell no sticking calliper, this is why I thought maybe master cylinder.

I'll swap the master cylinder out and have a better look at all the hoses, pipes etc and take it from there.

Cheers for responses.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Vapor lock (the brake fluid in one or more brake components, wheel cylinder or caliper, is getting so hot that it starts to boil)
Gaseous bubbles form and basic science dictates that gasses compress where as fluid doesn't, resulting in spongy brake pedal or even complete failure.

There can be several reasons for this to happen, reasons include:
Old brake fluid (has to be changed every two years as the fluid is hygroscopic, which means is absorbs water from the air) just 3% water lowers the brake fluids boiling point by around 95C.
A binding brake: sticking caliper piston, partially seized handbrake cable (pulling on but not fully releasing) over adjusted rear brakes (basically binding causing overheating and boiling fluid)
The Master cylinder is a mechanical device and fails either totally or with a creeping pedal (under pressure)

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Theclash
80-90 Mem No: 14346

Post by Theclash »

What California just said ......had the same problem and symptoms you describe after adjusting and unadjusting rear brakes it took me a good few trips in the van to suss out handbrake cable was sticking ,go for a long run and feel your hubs if they are red hot there's your problem I had no choice when it happened to me third time on motorway I took hub off and backed the handbrake off and didn't use it again all the trip with no problems replaced both cables when I got home set the shoes and handbrake and been fine ever since ,just need to change the fluid next

blakeys80
80-90 Mem No: 15374

Post by blakeys80 »

I've had the same thing happen twice, scary both times! Once last summer, once last week. No obvious leaks.
I've had a good look @ the back brakes and all seems ok, but after a good run recently, I noticed both front callipers were Very hot, jacked it up and one now seems to be totally seized, the other only slightly less so. The fluid also looks horrible so will be changed along with two new callipers,pads,discs, hoses and bearings.

If you're out and about near Brierley Hill next weekend and you see someone drowning in brake parts, it's me! :wink:

1981 LHD 2.0l CU with Twin Solex setup.

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

Check the rear brake cylinders for leaks (pull back the rubber dust seals)
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

shepster

Post by shepster »

Over adjusted handbrake/rear brakes could be a possibility as I recently changed rear shoes and a leaky cylinder and adjusted brakes ready for MOT, this was the first longish outing so might release them off a bit.

Cheers for all the suggestions.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

shepster wrote:Over adjusted handbrake/rear brakes could be a possibility as I recently changed rear shoes and a leaky cylinder and adjusted brakes ready for MOT, this was the first longish outing so might release them off a bit.

Cheers for all the suggestions.
in my experience under adjusted causes this, you loose alot of travel while the shoes move second pump and you have solid brakes again.
New shoes wil have settled
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

shepster

Post by shepster »

I was thinking if I had over adjusted them and the brake fluid had gotten hot then this may have caused the brake fade?

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

shepster wrote:I was thinking if I had over adjusted them and the brake fluid had gotten hot then this may have caused the brake fade?

Maybe but I doubt rears would do this so easily
I once drove a powerful car with my handbrake on for miles when I realised the wheels were so hot the paint was bubling any yet I had no fade.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

shepster

Post by shepster »

Fair play.

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

itchyfeet wrote:
shepster wrote:I was thinking if I had over adjusted them and the brake fluid had gotten hot then this may have caused the brake fade?

Maybe but I doubt rears would do this so easily
I once drove a powerful car with my handbrake on for miles when I realised the wheels were so hot the paint was bubling any yet I had no fade.
Not wanting to disagree but somewhile back I had a similar problem. I couldn't do more than 20 miles without one of my rear brakes overheating. The pedal became spongy & brakes pretty ineffective.
I eventually figured I had a bent back plate which caused one edge of shoe to rub on the drum, much the same as having the handbrake on.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.