Trouble bleeding clutch / replacing clutch cylinder slave

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

smurfbus
80-90 Mem No: 13974

Trouble bleeding clutch / replacing clutch cylinder slave

Post by smurfbus »

Hi,

Last weekend I spent a good few hours putting my Aidan re-built gearbox back on to my van, which all went pretty smoothly. Coming to bleed the clutch I have run into problems...

I haven't been able to undo the bleed screw (nut is too stiff and looks like it has been slightly rounded off previously) on the cylinder slave either with the slave mounted in place, or with the slave held in a small vice under the van to give good purchase. As I had a replacement cylinder slave available, I tackled the connection with the flexi hose, but unfortunately the nut here is the same story.

Going one further back and having bought a length of flexi hose I have the same problem with the connection into the rigid pipework. I have treated all three nuts in decent penetrating spray making sure they have been moist for a week and still no joy. The nuts at either end of the flexi pipe feel completely rusted tight.

What do people think my options are now?

Can I cut into the end of the rigid pipe and fit a new connection? How difficult would this be?

From looking at other posts, I get the impression that you can't just buy the whole clutch pipework off the shelf?

I have access to a pretty good workshop and can have a crack at some rudimentary welding if this opens up my options.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. It's a 1.9dg with a 4 speed box and hydraulic clutch...
1985 1.9DG (78ps) with a hightop

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Trouble bleeding clutch / replacing clutch cylinder slave

Post by colinthefox »

You can join a rigid clutch hydraulic pipe (NOT A BRAKE PIPE!!!!!) with a compression fitting, so you might only have to change the last few inches.

Brickwerks do a kit for your job https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/d ... opper.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

smurfbus

Post by smurfbus »

That's brilliant thanks very much. Kit ordered, let's see if I can get the Smurfbus running again this weekend!

smurfbus

Post by smurfbus »

So the saga continues with this one.

I have fitted the replacement pipe (with flared pipe ends ) from Brickwerks, new flexible hose from this to the new cylinder slave, but despite topping up the reservoir, not amount of bleeding seems to be drawing the fluid through.
The level in the reservoir hasn't really fallen, and there are no obvious leaks that I can see. I have checked for air bubbles and can't see any.

Are there any particular reasons why I'm not getting any fluid coming through? Both leaving open the clutch, pumping and even trying to syringe the air out of the cylinder slave don't seem to be working....

I didn't notice any problems with the master cylinder when I took my gearbox off, but could that be an issue? The van was sat without the gearbox on for about four months.

The van is sat on quite high ramps at the rear so the slave is sitting quite a bit higher than the pipework.

I have ordered a bleed kit to see if this might make a difference, but any other thoughts appreciated.

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

have you checked to see if the bleed nipple is blocked ? sorry if it sounds like a silly question lol

smurfbus

Post by smurfbus »

Domino wrote:have you checked to see if the bleed nipple is blocked ? sorry if it sounds like a silly question lol

No silly questions bearing mind how silly I feel at the moment!

Yes had the bleed nipple right out and back in again (put the syringe directly back in)

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Did you clean out the little hole whilst you had the nipple out? Quite often they get blocked with crud.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

smurfbus

Post by smurfbus »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Did you clean out the little hole whilst you had the nipple out? Quite often they get blocked with crud.

No, can check that, but the cylinder slave is new. The set up is new from the slave back to halfway along the rigid pipework.

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

smurfbus wrote:
Domino wrote:have you checked to see if the bleed nipple is blocked ? sorry if it sounds like a silly question lol

Yes had the bleed nipple right out and back in again (put the syringe directly back in)

when it was out could you blow though it ? ,, my brake nipples were completely blocked and I had to get a pin inside it to remove stuff so it would work and let fluid though

smurfbus

Post by smurfbus »

Domino wrote:
smurfbus wrote:

when it was out could you blow though it ? ,, my brake nipples were completely blocked and I had to get a pin inside it to remove stuff so it would work and let fluid though

Yea, it's a brand new nipple so no issues there.....

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

After I replaced the clutch slave cylinder on my van I had to ask my daughter to do the " pedal down close the bleed nipple " routine before I could see any fluid at the bleed nipple!
I think you need a helper!
Good luck.
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

rockthebus
80-90 Mem No: 13518

Post by rockthebus »

dave friday wrote:After I replaced the clutch slave cylinder on my van I had to ask my daughter to do the " pedal down close the bleed nipple " routine before I could see any fluid at the bleed nipple!
I think you need a helper!
Good luck.
I agree. Had same problem. A helper really helps!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
1990 Atlantic 2.1 SS
1996 Lotus Esprit S4s

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

When I replaced my pipework I found that I could move the plunger on the slave cylinder by hand with the bleed nipple open or closed to draw the fluid through myself, at least that is how I think I did it. Try opening the bleed nipple and pushing on the plunger, I vaguely remember that I opened the nipple, pushed the plunger, closed the nipple before releasing the plunger. The theory being that as the plunger returned to its full length it would draw the fluid down the new pipe. I had a length of tube attached to the nipple with the end immersed in a small bottle of brake fluid, just like you do when bleeding the brakes, I sat the bottle on top of the gearbox so that any air coming out would rise up the tube.
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

smurfbus

Post by smurfbus »

Thanks for all of the responses!

Yes, me and friend had a couple of efforts in the week (albeit pretty early in the morning and therefore not fully functioning), but without any joy.

Today however, I went back through the new pipework and the I think the problem was I had over-tightened the coupling between the flexi hose and the new copper piping. So essentially there was no fluid getting beyond this join, and hence no pressure. Loosing the join a bit has meant that I'm not getting fluid out of the bleed nipple.

I attempted a self bleed today, but couldn't keep the clutch down, while going back to the nipple, so this will be another early morning job on Tuesday. This is a bit seat of the pants before I need the van on Friday!

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

Simon ( Brickwerks) says " wedge the slave cylinder push rod so the cylinder piston doesn't move" then open and close the bleed nipple in the normal bleeding procedure.
The quote probably isn't accurate!!
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]