Trouble bleeding clutch / replacing clutch cylinder slave

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Trouble bleeding clutch / replacing clutch cylinder slave

Post by Aidan »

I've always found just gravity bleeding works fine, open bleed nipple (or remove completely if old or has been left with no cap on as it may be rusted up and not pass fluid) with suitable drip tray under van and plenty fluid in the reservoir and make a cup of tea, when fluid is running out of nipple continuously lock it off and check action

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

If still no luck getting fluid through the slave cylinder then loosen the pipe onto the cylinder to see if any fluid is reaching the end of the pipe work.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

smurfbus
80-90 Mem No: 13974

Post by smurfbus »

So you're all going to really like this, and I feel incredibly stupid (I blame this on my 10 week old baby entirely rather than my own stupidity...) but these reason this has been so difficult is I have been topping up the reservoir with gear oil rather than dot4.....

My only feeble excuse is the comma bottles are the same - apart from the large label on the front!

So now I need your advice on how to flush clutch and brake systems out of gear oil....I'm worried that as the viscosity of the gear oil is heavier than the fluid it's just going to stay in the pipework. Will conventional bleeding work?

Thanks in advance......
1985 1.9DG (78ps) with a hightop

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Oh sheet!
Hopefully the Herbivorous gentleman can advise. I don't know whether gear oil would be safe on the seals in the system.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

How was the 10 week old baby involved in all of this ? I hope you wasnt using it to wedge the pedal down ! Whats wrong with just a piece of wood. :?
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

smurfbus
80-90 Mem No: 13974

Post by smurfbus »

multisi wrote:How was the 10 week old baby involved in all of this ? I hope you wasnt using it to wedge the pedal down ! Whats wrong with just a piece of wood. :?

I had him on the bleed nipple :D - No - it feels like a standard excuse when you're trying to fit an hour in first thing in the morning, when you've been up in the night!
1985 1.9DG (78ps) with a hightop